This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: May 30, 2013 8:15 AM by 1011817 RSS

SQL Developer Cannot start

1009637 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Trying to start SQL developer and it is asking "enter full pathname from java.exe". When I do iget the following error "Cannot find a J2SE SDK"
This is a window 7 enterprise 64 bit.
Anyone has a solution for this?

Thanks
Frank
  • 1. Re: SQL Developer Cannot start
    Gary Graham Expert
    Hi Frank,

There are two kinds of Java downloads: developer kit (jdk) and runtime environment (jre). SQL Developer requires a jdk. If you do not already have one installed, or did not download the SQL Developer zip that includes a jdk (the one without the no-jre in its name, only for Windows), then get the certified Java 6 version here for your OS matching the bit version of SQL Developer (32 or 64-bit):
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk6downloads-1902814.html

Java 7 will be certified for a future SQL Developer release. It works fairly well with the current product release (3.2.20.09.87), but some issues have been found so Java 6 remains the recommended version for now.

Regards,
    Gary
    SQL Developer Team
  • 2. Re: SQL Developer Cannot start
    1011817 Newbie
    Hi Gary,

I have separately installed Java 6 and the error which Frank received is removed now. But, in spite of that, SQL Developer is not opening. I double-click on the program and then nothing happens - SQL Developer window doesn't open. I also downloaded a very old version - Oracle SQL Developer 1.5.4 (with included JDK kit) - but the same problem happens with this, nothing happens.

Thanks
    Ohm

Edited by: 1008814 on May 30, 2013 1:47 AM
  • 3. Re: SQL Developer Cannot start
    Jim Smith Expert
    Try running <sqldev>\sqldeveloper\bin\sqldeveloper.exe. (I'm assuming you are on windows)

That should display a console window which may display some error messages. If that still won't start try opening a command window and running it from there.
  • 4. Re: SQL Developer Cannot start
    1011817 Newbie
    Hi,

I referred to this thread:- Unable to start Oracle SQL Developer And my problem is solved.

Thanks for the help everyone,

Ohm

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points