4 Replies Latest reply: May 18, 2013 8:55 PM by Ora_83 RSS

TAF

Ora_83
      Hi ,

What is the advantage of setting up TAF (Transient application failover) ?

If a node crashes, by deafault, all users will connect to available nodes.
      I dont understand the benefit of using TAF (METHOD = PRECONNECT or BASIC)
        • 1. Re: TAF
          Santysharma-Oracle
          Hi,

Please check below document for details:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/network.112/e10836/advcfg.htm#i473297

Regards,
          Sharma
          • 2. Re: TAF
            Ora_83
            Hi

Yes, I`ve already read the doc.

In the document it says:

TAF is a client-side feature that allows clients to reconnect to surviving databases in the event of a failure of a database instance

Well, you dont need a TAF to connect surviving instance. If the instance is down, by default all new connection will go to surviving instances.
            • 3. Re: TAF
              user12288492
              In absence of TAF, subsequent sessions will failover but current running sessions will not be failed over to surviving instances.
              If TAF is configured with SELECT TAF policy, both session and select query will resume on a surviving instance. Any other statements (DML, PL/SQL) will not failover.
              If TAF is configured with SESSION TAF policy, only session will resume on a surviving instance. query will have to be reissued.

Hope it helps!
              • 4. Re: TAF
                Ora_83
                Thanks, it makes sense now.