5 Replies Latest reply: May 20, 2013 2:13 AM by Hemant K Chitale RSS

backup

Hello

Suppose our database have 100 datafiles and right now rman has completed backup of 64 datafile(from file no 1 to file no 64) and in process of backup of 65 number datafile. In mean time I executed some query and it has changed the file no 55. so now my question whether rman will go and bacup this datafile(datafile no 55) again or it will leave this file as it is?
        • 1. Re: backup
          swapnil kambli
          No. It will not. RMAN bckups are consistent to the point it started the backup command.
          • 2. Re: backup
            Chanchal Wankhade
            Hi,

It will not bakcup that 55 files if you want you have to take new backup so it will affect to 55 file.
            • 3. Re: backup
              Hemant K Chitale
              RMAN bckups are consistent to the point it started the backup command.
              Not so. RMAN Backups when the database is OPEN are inconsistent. They backup datafiles even as they (datafiles) are being modified.

Hemant K Chitale
              • 4. Re: backup
                Hemant K Chitale
                so now my question whether rman will go and bacup this datafile(datafile no 55) again or it will leave this file as it is?
                Oracle RMAN will not go and backup the datafile again. It may even backup datafile 64 as it is being modified. That is the very advantage of RMAN -- Backups when the database is OPEN and being modified.

If you RESTORE this backup, you will need to apply the archivelogs (for all redo generated while the backup was in progress) using the RECOVER command to make it consistent again.

Hemant K Chitale
                • 5. Re: backup
                  swapnil kambli
                  Yes Hemant..thanks for the correction....I just went through your blog...

I used to think that the snapshot control file is file that RMAN uses to keep track of consistency,It doesn't seem to be the case.