11 Replies Latest reply: May 21, 2013 5:14 PM by 1010162 RSS

Unable to connect. Unable to access get started

Oracle Express 11.2.0 XE on Ubuntu Precise Pangolin, under VMWare workstation.
      Have installed (several times) Oracle Express 11.2.0 on Ubuntu. All seems to go well until I either try to access the get started web page (unable to connect ) or try to connect in sqlplus: after password is entered ERROR ORA-10034 Oracle is not available
      ORA-27101 Shared memory realm does not exist. Linux-x86_64 Error: 2 No such file or directory.
      I am at my wits end. On each install the directories /u01/app/oracle/diag and /u01/app/oracle/oradata are not created and resulted in an error on the configure step. In subsequent installs I have manually created these directories. The diag directory has subsequently been populated but there is nothing in oradata.

LISTENER STATUS:

LSNRCTL for Linux: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production on 21-MAY-2013 15:39:13

Copyright (c) 1991, 2011, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC_FOR_XE)))
      STATUS of the LISTENER
      ------------------------
      Alias LISTENER
      Version TNSLSNR for Linux: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production
      Start Date 21-MAY-2013 15:14:39
      Uptime 0 days 0 hr. 24 min. 33 sec
      Trace Level off
      Security ON: Local OS Authentication
      SNMP OFF
      Default Service XE
      Listener Parameter File /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/xe/network/admin/listener.ora
      Listener Log File /u01/app/oracle/diag/tnslsnr/ubuntu/listener/alert/log.xml
      Listening Endpoints Summary...
      (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(KEY=EXTPROC_FOR_XE)))
      (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=ubuntu.localdomain)(PORT=1521)))
      Services Summary...
      Service "PLSExtProc" has 1 instance(s).
      Instance "PLSExtProc", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
      The command completed successfully
        • 1. Re: Unable to connect. Unable to access get started
          sb92075
          1007159 wrote:
          Have installed (several times) Oracle Express 11.2.0 on Ubuntu. All seems to go well until I either try to access the get started web page (unable to connect ) or try to connect in sqlplus: after password is entered ERROR ORA-10034 Oracle is not available
          ORA-27101 Shared memory realm does not exist. Linux-x86_64 Error: 2 No such file or directory.
          I am at my wits end. On each install the directories /u01/app/oracle/diag and /u01/app/oracle/oradata are not created and resulted in an error on the configure step. In subsequent installs I have manually created these directories. The diag directory has subsequently been populated but there is nothing in oradata.

LISTENER STATUS:

STATUS of the LISTENER
          ------------------------
          Alias LISTENER
          Trace Level off
          SNMP OFF
          Default Service XE
          Listener Parameter File /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/xe/network/admin/listener.ora
          Services Summary...
          >

LISTENER STATUS:

STATUS of the LISTENER
          ------------------------
          Alias LISTENER
          Trace Level off
          SNMP OFF
          Default Service XE
          Services Summary...
          be logged onto OS as user "oracle" & open terminal window then do EXACTLY as below

sqlplus
          / as sysdba
          startup
          SELECT * FROM V$VERSION;

COPY the results from above then PASTE all back here
          • 2. Re: Unable to connect. Unable to access get started
            Thank you for your help. Much appreciated.

When I first log in as oracle (su - oracle) I receive the message: No directory logging in with HOME=/ as
            there was no home directory for that user.

When i enter sqlplus (as oracle user) : -su 1: sqlplus not found

There is obviously something that I am not understanding correctly concerning users.
            I originally started the service with : sudo service oracle-xe start.
            Installed the software as myself except where the instructions specified sudo.

thanks
            • 3. Re: Unable to connect. Unable to access get started
              sb92075
              1007159 wrote:
              Thank you for your help. Much appreciated.

When I first log in as oracle (su - oracle) I receive the message: No directory logging in with HOME=/ as
              there was no home directory for that user.

When i enter sqlplus (as oracle user) : -su 1: sqlplus not found

There is obviously something that I am not understanding correctly concerning users.
              I originally started the service with : sudo service oracle-xe start.
              Installed the software as myself except where the instructions specified sudo.

thanks
              BTW - Oracle DB is NOT certified on Ubuntu.

The problem is the database has not been started; which is why errors get thrown when you try to use it.

which OS user owns the Oracle software directory files?
              • 4. Re: Unable to connect. Unable to access get started
                Root. I think I needed to be root to do the installation?
                • 5. Re: Unable to connect. Unable to access get started
                  sb92075
                  1007159 wrote:
                  Root. I think I needed to be root to do the installation?
                  WRONG!

issue long running OS command below as root

find / -name sqlplus -ls 2>/dev/null

COPY the results from above then PASTE it back here
                  • 6. Re: Unable to connect. Unable to access get started
                    6029436 8 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4968 Aug 29 2011 /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/xe/bin/sqlplus
                    6037529 4 drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 May 21 11:53 /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/xe/sqlplus
                    • 7. Re: Unable to connect. Unable to access get started
                      Hi again.

Thank you for your help. I resolved the situation by uninstalling and re-installing as user oracle who I added to the sudoers list, as the dpkg and configure steps required root privilege. Your questions pointed me in the right direction. thanks.
                      • 8. Re: Unable to connect. Unable to access get started
                        second part of question not answered.
                        • 9. Re: Unable to connect. Unable to access get started
                          Hi again.

I am now able to connect as sysdba.
                          Still having the problem accessing the getting started web site : unable to connect.

as sysdba in sqlplus, when I issue the startup command - the system says it is already started.

Edited by: 1007159 on May 21, 2013 12:29 PM
                          • 10. Re: Unable to connect. Unable to access get started
                            clcarter
                            system says it is already started.
                            Ok so the database is up. The client networking configuration also needs to be correct for the web pages to work. You should already see some difference in a `lsnrctl status` output, in the Services ... section, i.e.:
                            ... Service "xe" has 1 instance(s). ...
                            Or something like that. Try stopping the listener, edit the $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/listener.ora file and fix the HOST=<hostname> to the "any IP" address of 0.0.0.0, i.e.:
                            lsnrctl stop
                            vi $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/listener.ora
                            ... change ... (HOST= <hostname> ...
                            ... to
                            ... (HOST= 0.0.0.0 ...
                            ... save and quit ...
                            lsnrctl start
                            sqlplus /nolog
                            conn system
                             ... password ...
                            alter system register;
                            ... exit;
                            lsnrctl status
                            ... Services ... should see an XEXDB service now ...
                            If the XEXDB service is showing up, you should also see another Endpoints... line in that last `...status` output, with "...(PORT=8080))(Presentation=HTTP)..." and the web pages will work.

That's a Promise. If the XEXDB service, and the HTTP endpoint are not there, the web pages will not work. I'll promise that as well.

When hostname is not correct and does not agree with the host networking configuration, the web pages will not work even though the database and listener are up and running.
                            • 11. Re: Unable to connect. Unable to access get started
                              Working fine now. Thanks to all for the assistance.