This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: May 23, 2013 12:46 AM by morellik RSS

Help to find the correct technology

morellik Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Dear all,

first of all excuse me for my bad english. I've to develop a monitoring system for our instrumentation.
What I want to do is:

an user starts to use an instrument controlled by a PC (Linux or Windows), set an experiment ad runs an agent giving it some information. The agent starts in background and when receive a request from a server, collects some information in XML format and return its to the server. The server write this information in a db. The server ask for information in regularly interval of time. The user can use a browser to connect to the server, authenticate himself and see the experiment status.
When the experiment is finished, the server send a kill signal to the agent and the agent kill itself.
I've an agent for each instrument.

Instrument <------> PC Linux/Windows (agent) <------ xml ------> Server (Java EE) <--- jsf/restful----> Client

I want to use Java EE for the server part, but I haven't idea how to write the agent or which technology I've to use to realize the agent and how create the communication server <-> agent.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Enrico
  • 1. Re: Help to find the correct technology
    gimbal2 Guru
    morellik wrote:
    I want to use Java EE for the server part, but I haven't idea how to write the agent or which technology I've to use to realize the agent and how create the communication server <-> agent.
    You will have to learn. That is going to take weeks at least and will probably require you to buy and study several books. But you can learn while doing, JEE is not one big thing, it is a collection of little things which can be used and learned separately. So you could focus on the RESTful side of it first for example.
    Thanks a lot for your help.
    What help? You didn't even ask a question, you just made a statement that you need to do stuff. If you want help you'll have to make a start yourself first, which will be orienting yourself on what is available. If you are stuck choosing between different technologies, THEN it is time to ask for help.
  • 2. Re: Help to find the correct technology
    morellik Newbie
    Thanks, I'm reading Java EE books and I wrote some web applications. My question regards the agent part. Have I to write this part in Java SE, in Java EE or exists libraries to create an agent? How can I create the communication between the server (Java EE) and the agent? Using messages? This is the nebulous part for me.
  • 3. Re: Help to find the correct technology
    jtahlborn Expert
    morellik wrote:
    Thanks, I'm reading Java EE books and I wrote some web applications. My question regards the agent part. Have I to write this part in Java SE, in Java EE or exists libraries to create an agent? How can I create the communication between the server (Java EE) and the agent? Using messages? This is the nebulous part for me.
    if i understand correctly, the agent is a standalone program you are using to run the experiment and return the results to the server? if this is the case, then you probably don't need JEE for the agent, just JSE (of course, that may depend on how complex the agent is).
  • 4. Re: Help to find the correct technology
    morellik Newbie
    Yes, you are ready. I don't use the agent to run the experiment, but only to check if the experiment is running. I have to launch the agent passing it some parameters, the agent has to go in background and starts to communicate with the server. When the experiment is finished the server has to send an hangup signal to the agent that has to kill itself. The obscure part for me is the technology to use for the communication. I would to use XML messages.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points