2 Replies Latest reply: May 30, 2013 8:46 AM by 971682 RSS

FIXED: Control panel error installing from MSI with JRE 7 U 21

hello everybody,
      just wanted to let you know that I seem to have found a fix / workaround for the problem that the Java Control Panel crashes on JRE 7 U 21 on Windows 7.
      It seems that when using the MSI file, the following registry key is missing from the clients.
      Just create the key and the value, and the error should be gone.
      Note the space in the key name. Value is of type REG_SZ (string).

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Auto Update
      "AUVersion"="2.1.9.5"

cheers

P.S.: Mods, maybe you could link this answer into the other thread about this topic? It is locked, so I could not reply there...

Edited by: 1007617 on 23.05.2013 05:08
        • 1. Re: FIXED: Control panel error installing from MSI with JRE 7 U 21
          gimbal2
          Your efforts are very much appreciated. I wish there was a better way for you to get this information to where it makes a difference though, forum posts are very forgettable things.
          • 2. Re: FIXED: Control panel error installing from MSI with JRE 7 U 21
            Thanks for your workaround, but it doesn't seems to work on every configuration.
            Our PCs are Windows 7 SP1 64 bits and we've also got the crash when opening the config panel of Java 7 update 21... even with the change in the registry.

But, in our case, I've just found the issue with Process Monitor : It's because we have installed and activated ESSO-LM (single sign on stuff made by... ORACLE) on our PCs. To be more precise, it's the version 11.1.1.5.2 that we use. If I completly stop this software, the issue miraculously dissapear. If I simply pause the software, that's not enough, it needs to be completly stopped.

Edited by: 968679 on 30 mai 2013 06:41