This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: May 24, 2013 12:55 AM by 985241 RSS

Display of Chinese characters issue

985241 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi everyone,

I have a slight problem and I don't understand which parameter/factor handles this kind of issue.

I have 2 Oracle databases.
On one DB, I can enter Chinese characters and they are displayed accordingly in the DB and when queried from the application (if the workstation has the Chinese installed it displays Chinese characters and when it is not installed, it displays blank squares).
On the other DB, when we enter Chinese characters, it is stored in the DB as reversed '??' in the DB and displayed the same way in the application.

I'm looking for the reason why the 2 DB do not behave the same way.
And a solution to make the second DB to handle the Chinese characters properly too (if possible). :)

I have looked at the following query :

select * from NLS_DATABASE_PARAMETERS where parameter = 'NLS_CHARACTERSET'

On both DB it returns UTF8.

Regarding the NLS_LANG parameter in the register of the database servers, one is set at AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1 (this one does not display the characters) and the other is set at AMERCIAN_AMERICA.WE8MSWIN1252 (this one is OK).
But I'm not sure this is relevant as for Chinese I believe we should use SIMPLIFIED CHINESE_CHINA.ZHS16GBK.
And I don't know which role is playing the NLS_LANG parameter in the storage of data and their display.

Could someone enlighten me on this subject, please ? :)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points