1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply: Jun 5, 2013 12:11 PM by Catch_22 RSS

reg: SVN client for oracle linux

nitesh K
      Hi,

can u plz provide some link to download and instal SVN CLIENT in ORACLE LINUX.

Thanks,
      Nitesh
        • 1. Re: reg: SVN client for oracle linux
          Catch_22
          <pre>
          # yum -y install subversion

# svn --version
          svn, version 1.6.11 (r934486)
          compiled Apr 11 2013, 11:26:40

# svnadmin --version
          svnadmin, version 1.6.11 (r934486)
          compiled Apr 11 2013, 11:26:40

Copyright (C) 2000-2009 CollabNet.
          Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.tigris.org/
          This product includes software developed by CollabNet (http://www.Collab.Net/).
          </pre>
          • 2. Re: reg: SVN client for oracle linux
            nitesh K
            Thanks for sharing the information. very useful

i have installed. how to start the SVN client..

regards,
            Nitesh
            • 3. Re: reg: SVN client for oracle linux
              EdStevens
              nitesh K wrote:
              Thanks for sharing the information. very useful

i have installed. how to start the SVN client..

regards,
              Nitesh
              http://subversion.apache.org/
              • 4. Re: reg: SVN client for oracle linux
                Catch_22
                I found the following in Google, which might answer your question:

http://magazine.redhat.com/2007/07/17/simple-svn-just-enough-to-get-started/
                http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/wiki/Subversion
                • 5. Re: reg: SVN client for oracle linux
                  Billy~Verreynne
                  I use kdesvn as SVN client on Linux.

Doubt that it is readily available for a server distro as it is a GUI client that belongs on a desktop distro.

Am running snv server on Oracle Linux. kdesvn client on Ubuntu. And the world (in this respect) makes sense.
                  • 6. Re: reg: SVN client for oracle linux
                    nitesh K
                    but m using oracle linux and kdesvn client doesnt support...
                    • 7. Re: reg: SVN client for oracle linux
                      Billy~Verreynne
                      Exactly. That is the point I was making. You are using a server distribution. SVN client is used by developers on client platforms - and thus a client distribution should be used as that will provide Qtlib/KDE/Gnome/Unity/etc support.

If you want to use a SVN client on a server, then you should be prepared to check out the code via svn command line. And yes, this is an unusual approach. But so would be checking out code from SVN on a server. This would indicate server code being checked out to build server software. Which is unusual as far as standard development goes. Also subjected to different approaches in building and testing server s/w, than for a client/app type environment.

Bottom line. Oracle Linux means server o/s. Not client/desktop o/s. So do not expect desktop o/s tools, drivers and s/w on a server o/s. And vice versa.
                      • 8. Re: reg: SVN client for oracle linux
                        nitesh K
                        ofcourse i want to use svn client on developers machine i.e oracle linux OS. i am looking for svn client GUI tool that supports for oracle linux OS.
                        • 9. Re: reg: SVN client for oracle linux
                          Billy~Verreynne
                          Again...

Oracle Linux is a server o/s.

It is not a desktop o/s for developers.
                          • 10. Re: reg: SVN client for oracle linux
                            nitesh K
                            Hi ,

Yes it is oracle linux server 6.4 installed on developers machine. SVN server is in other machine. I want to access svn server from developers machine using svn client.

I am looking out for GUI svn client.

Thanks,
                            Nitesh
                            • 11. Re: reg: SVN client for oracle linux
                              Catch_22
                              Oracle Linux, like any distribution based on RHEL, is a system for enterprise server installations, which does not focus on supporting the latest hardware and software trends or client applications.

If you are looking for client and GUI software, a desktop Linux distribution like Fedora Debian based Ubuntu will give you many more options. Unless you develop software for the operating system, there is usually no need to run Enterprise Linux on a developer or client desktop machine.
                              • 12. Re: reg: SVN client for oracle linux
                                Billy~Verreynne
                                nitesh K wrote:

Yes it is oracle linux server 6.4 installed on developers machine.
                                Which is wrong. Developer desktops should be running a desktop distro such as Ubuntu or Fedora.

Would you install Windows Sever 2012 on a developer's desktop to use? No, you will install Windows 7/8 desktop version instead.

So why is it so hard for you to grasp the basic fact that Oracle Linux Server is NOT suited as a desktop o/s, that you WILL have problems using it as a desktop o/s, and that it DOES NOT support desktop features and devices.
                                • 13. Re: reg: SVN client for oracle linux
                                  nitesh K
                                  Thanks for the info ..

I am software engg and m new to linux environment. I worked on windows with tortoise svn client.

In my new office they have given me desktop which have oracle linux OS ..

Thanks
                                  Nitesh
                                  • 14. Re: reg: SVN client for oracle linux
                                    Billy~Verreynne
                                    They have installed the wrong Linux distro on that desktop.

A server o/s does not provide default support for desktop h/w (like webcams, touchpads, latest video chipsets, etc). Instead, it provides support for server h/w and server environments.

What you should be looking at is Ubuntu 12.10 or 13.04 (see http://www.ubuntu.com/). It is arguably the best Linux desktop distro. I have been using it for over 10 years now doing development and support. Prior to that I used Fedora, but it never did provide a smooth install and out-of-the-box driver support for desktop h/w. And I doubt that this has changed to be better than what Ubuntu supports and provides.

If you do use Ubuntu, consider the 64bit version if your are developing s/w for 64bit Linux - makes development and deployment easier as there are some differences between the 32bit and 64bit kernels.

You will also be able to install 64bit Oracle XE on your desktop (if you do get to that stage and need assistance in getting the XE Redhat RPM installed, post a message on the database general questions forum).
                                    1 2 Previous Next