4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 4, 2013 2:08 PM by 911712 RSS

Updating the schedule (Actual Date > Data Date)

Hi,

I would like to ask the experienced guys in P6 if you "actualize" your dates for those activities that have already started (or completed) and whose start or finish dates are after the data date.

For example, let's say your data date is April 30, 2013. Now you are collecting the information to update your schedule for the month of May. The planned start date for Activity "A" was May 15 and the finish date is June 15. It actually started on May 17, and the finish date now is June 17. Before you shift the data date, do you "actualize" the start date of the activity or do you do this AFTER you shift the data date? Actually, I have recorded the start date of that activity as an actual start date (May 17), without shifting the data date to May 31 yet, and the software is doing "weird" things with my activities, especially those that are linked to that activiy. One of the "weird" things that I have seen is that once I record the actual start date, the start date is set equal to the data date. Why?

How do you update you dates in P6? BEFORE or AFTER you shif your data date?

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Updating the schedule (Actual Date > Data Date)
          john @ texas
          There are a couple of ways to update the actual schedule performance. The way I have always done it is to: 1) save a copy, 2) change the data date, 3) recalculate (F9), and 4) update actual progress for each activity with Actual Dates on an activity by activity basis.

But like I stated, there are other ways to perform an update. I hope this helps.
          • 2. Re: Updating the schedule (Actual Date > Data Date)
            I like to update actuals before changing the data date and hitting <F9>. The reason is that typically more activities will be closer in the planned dates than they are when they get pushed out a month. And there's not usually as much "shock" to the schedule.
            • 3. Re: Updating the schedule (Actual Date > Data Date)
              Rational Contriver
              Hi,

The Best practice to update a schedule is, First Update with actuals and Schedule it (F9).

Note :- Before scheduling (F9) please ensure that Actual date should be less than or equal t the Data Date.
              • 4. Re: Updating the schedule (Actual Date > Data Date)
                Dear

Firstly you have to be very clear about the definition of the term data date; The definition of a data date is the first available hour for new work to commence or existing work to continue. For eg: If your status is current as of Thursday at 16:00 (end of working hours), then a data date of Friday at 08:00 (start of working hours) might be appropriate.

When we first prepare a schedule, the start date of the first activity will be same as data date.
                Further, for all future schedule updates the remaining early start and finish dates will be scheduled from the current data dates as per the logical relationships. (if any activity was planned to start prior to the current data date and did not actually start, primavera will re-schedule the new start date of the activity from the current data date)

Also note that if an activity has an actual start, % progress and remaining duration left and has some logical relationship SS+lag , FF+lag which drives the remaining early start or finish; you will see that the remaining early start or finish will be driven by the predecessor relation ship away from the data date.

Answering your queries:

a) "Before you shift the data date, do you "actualize" the start date of the activity or do you do this AFTER you shift the data date? "

Always enter your (actual dates, % complete or remaining duration as the case may be or both depending on the type of activity % complete set) prior to pressing F9 or scheduling which will shift the data date

b) How do you update you dates in P6? BEFORE or AFTER you shift your data date?

I hope the above clarifies your queries. (Update your progress and then shift the data date by pressing F9 or tools->Schedule)

In Principle all your progress is recorded before data date and then the"remaining start/finish dates of partially completed activities + early start dates of not started activities are scheduled"

Regards,

JG

http://ae.linkedin.com/pub/john-george-cce/15/422/bab/