6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 4, 2013 3:13 PM by Srini Chavali-Oracle RSS

10.2.0.2.0 to 10.2.0.4.0 move and upgrade

Hi I am planning to move dev(single instance) database which is version
      10.2.0.2.0 size arounbd 2Gb to another host same os version
      the target server has RAC set up and it has some RAC databses
      and ORACLE version 10.2.0.4.0 what steps should i take both are using ASM storage (i can shutdown the source DB)
      i need detail steps if possible. I dont want to convert source databse to RAC after moving it should remain single instance itself (since its only dev)

Edited by: 1009005 on May 30, 2013 3:23 PM
        • 1. Re: 10.2.0.2.0 to 10.2.0.4.0 move and upgrade
          Srini Chavali-Oracle
          Since this database is only 2GB, the simplest approach would be to use export/import

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14238/expimp.htm

HTH
          Srini
          • 2. Re: 10.2.0.2.0 to 10.2.0.4.0 move and upgrade
            Hi Srini
            Thank you for your reply so
            so the steps would be

1. i will create new single instance database in 10.2.0.4 server(target server with RAC set up)
            2. export from old 10.2.0.2 database and import same to target right
            3.is there any issue creating single instance database in a rac cluster server or is it just same as usual. anything extra
            i need to be careful about if you know of any doc for that it would be appreciated
            • 3. Re: 10.2.0.2.0 to 10.2.0.4.0 move and upgrade
              Srini Chavali-Oracle
              You can create an "empty" RAC instance on the target and then export from the source instance and import into the RAC instance. There are no special considerations necessary.

HTH
              Srini
              • 4. Re: 10.2.0.2.0 to 10.2.0.4.0 move and upgrade
                Lubiez Jean-Valentin
                Hello,

3.is there any issue creating single instance database in a rac cluster server or is it just same as usual. anything extra i need to be careful about if you know of any doc for that it would be appreciated
                This Note may be helpful:
                *How to create a RAC database using DBCA generated scripts from templates [ID 856783.1]*
                Hope this help,
                Best regards,
                Jean-Valentin Lubiez
                • 5. Re: 10.2.0.2.0 to 10.2.0.4.0 move and upgrade
                  Hi Thank you All for valuable in puts servers has been changed now requirement is slight different
                  management has agreed that they are fine with moving the single instance to multinode RAC
                  Source DB is single instance (10.2.0.2)+nonasm+HP-UX B.11.11
                  Traget server 2node RAC setup with two databases already running(GNU linux x86-64) (10.2.0.4)+ASM

so to sum up all this

i Guess i can go with only this solution

1. Create new database in existing RAC setup in target--- can someone point me to any doc for new database creation in existing RAC setup with other databases already present scenario would be nice

2.EXP source DB full db export

3.IMP to new DB(should i precreate datafiles and all since its an asm and source dump is nonasm) please suggest sequence for doing full exp imp from nonasm to asm directory structure ?

and i hope i can export from 10.2.0.2 to 10.2.0.4 without any issues... or should i upgrade source db before exp imp .

Thank you all Once again
                  once i get some input on above updated questions i willl close the thread..

Edited by: 1009005 on Jun 4, 2013 12:33 PM
                  • 6. Re: 10.2.0.2.0 to 10.2.0.4.0 move and upgrade
                    Srini Chavali-Oracle
                    My high level recommendation posted above still applies - you will need to create a new "empty" database on the target server, then export from the source database and import into target. On the target, you can pre-create tablespaces/datafiles as needed. Yes, you can export from 10.2.0.2 and import into 10.2.0.4 - upgrade on the source is not necessary.

HTH
                    Srini