6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2013 5:28 AM by 1012122

please help... the network adapter could not establish the connection

hi,

i tried to download oracle sql developer to my pc.
      i downloaded oracle 11 g client and 2 zip file of databases.
      when i'm try to connect with :

connecion_name : orcl
      usr :hr
      pass: hr

SID :orcl
      connection-type :basic

i get the messege :" the network adapter could not establish the connection"

i create by myself a file "tnsnames.ora"

with the parameters :

ORCL =
      (DESCRIPTION =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 62.65.xx.xx)(PORT = 1521))
      (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVER = DEDICATED)
      (SERVICE_NAME = orcl)
      )
      )

please help me ' what else is not configure ???
        • 1. Re: please help... the network adapter could not establish the connection
          thatJeffSmith-Oracle
          After you download the 2 database zip files, extract them, read the installation instructions, install oracle, and then create a database.

Once you have done all of that, then you can connect.

Or you can use our Developer Days VirtualBox image which already has everything setup for you. Nothing to install but the free VirtualBox software.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/databaseappdev-vm-161299.html
          • 2. Re: please help... the network adapter could not establish the connection
            hi,

thanks for your help.
            i extract the two files and now when i try to connect i get the messege :

"TNS-12505: TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in connect descriptor"

tnsnames look like :

ORACLR_CONNECTION_DATA =
            (DESCRIPTION =
            (ADDRESS_LIST =
            (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC1521))
            )
            (CONNECT_DATA =
            (SID = CLRExtProc)
            (PRESENTATION = RO)
            )
            )

and the listener look like :

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
            (SID_LIST =
            (SID_DESC =
            (SID_NAME = CLRExtProc)
            (ORACLE_HOME = C:\app\XXXX\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1)
            (PROGRAM = extproc)
            (ENVS = "EXTPROC_DLLS=ONLY:C:\app\XXX\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\bin\oraclr11.dll")
            )
            )

LISTENER =
            (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
            (DESCRIPTION =
            (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC1521))
            (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = localhost)(PORT = 1521))
            )
            )
            please i need your help.

by the way,

i just want to practice on PL /SQL function and precedures.

is the virtual box can be helpful ?
            • 3. Re: please help... the network adapter could not establish the connection
              Gary Graham-Oracle
              Hi,
              TNS-12505: TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in connect descriptor
              Means your tnsnames does not contain a definition for the SID you used in the SQL Developer connection details. If you use ORCL then the tnsnames should include something like this:
              ORCL =
                (DESCRIPTION =
                  (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = localhost)(PORT = 1521))
                  (CONNECT_DATA =
                    (SERVER = DEDICATED)
                    (SERVICE_NAME = ORCL)
                  )
                )    
              As for your other question,
              is the virtual box can be helpful ?
              definitely! You don't have to install the Oracle database software, create a database, install SQL Developer,etc. It already has everything installed and configured for you. And when you are done using it, just stop or save the virtual machine image, so there is no Oracle instance and other associated services running in the background consuming CPU and memory on your system. And cleanup is easy -- no de-installation required, just remove the virtual machine image from VirtualBox and automatically recover all the disk space.

Cheers,
              Gary
              • 4. Re: please help... the network adapter could not establish the connection
                hi,

finaly i downloaded the VM.
                but now i cant connect the database because i dont know the username and the password and the connection name.
                i read that i need to use the same user name and password like my connection to the XE.. what is the XE??????

please !!!!
                • 5. Re: please help... the network adapter could not establish the connection
                  Gary Graham-Oracle
                  If you are working exclusively within the VM (SQL Developer launched from within the VM), then all you have to remember is ...

0. Use any connection name that is meaningful to you -- some restrictions on the use of special characters in the name may apply.
                  1. On that VM, the 11g database has SID = ORCL and port = 1521. (The default SID of XE just refers to Oracle Express Edition).
                  2. The long list of usernames in ORCL include SYS, SYSTEM, BI, HR, but not the classic SCOTT.
                  3. All use password = oracle
                  4. If you use SYS, remember to select role=SYSDBA in the SQL Developer connection details.

If want to connect to the VM's database (SID = ORCL) from outside the VM (your host's SQL Developer install), then read my post on the following forum thread:
                  Connection via ip fails while 'localhost' works

Hope this helps,
                  Gary
                  • 6. Re: please help... the network adapter could not establish the connection
                    hi,

Thank you very much.
                    fiinaly i did it.
                    i dont understand way it doesent wrote anywhere