4 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2013 11:48 AM by 926398 RSS

Instance naming in rac 11gr2 question

I am installing 11.2.0.3 grid and database on AIX 61 platform. IN the past when building rac databases I have always picked a logical database name and then just let the instance name be derived from the database name...e.g. database_name= racdb instance_names= racdb1,racdb2.
      This has worked perfectly in the past but now the manager I am working for would like the following...

database_name= orprod00 instance_names= ormockn1,ormockn2.

Is this possible when using dbca to create the rac database and instances? Also, is it a good idea to have the instance names different from the database name.
      Thanks for any suggestions.
        • 1. Re: Instance naming in rac 11gr2 question
          FreddieEssex
          Is this possible when using dbca to create the rac database and instances?
          I don't know if the instance name is set when using dbca as I have always used the manual method but the database name is set at that time and I think instance name is as well using your naming convention. The instance name can always be changed afterwards. You set this when you export the ORACLE_SID and start the database. The instance name can be anything you want and does not need to relate to your database.
          Also, is it a good idea to have the instance names different from the database name.
          Your naming convention is typically what is used as there is no confusion. All my database and instance names follow the same convention. ie [database_name][instance_number]

Why does your manager want different database and instance names. The database name of prod makes it pretty obvious it's a prod database, but instance name of "mock" doesn't make it obvious it's a prod database. In fact I would have assumed it's a mock database and not prod with that name.

Personally I think it's confusing having desperate instance and database names.
          • 2. Re: Instance naming in rac 11gr2 question
            rarain
            Hi,

I think when you create the database using DBCA it ask you to specify global database name and database sid, database sid should be used as a Instance Prefix.

Thanks
            • 3. Re: Instance naming in rac 11gr2 question
              I have not been able to find anything in documentation regarding this topic...
              • 4. Re: Instance naming in rac 11gr2 question
                Thats what I have always done which is just use the instance sid which is derived from the database name. I have never tried chamging it and not sure if this will cause problems down the road so I am not sure if I should travel that road?