2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 3, 2013 11:23 AM by Lubiez Jean-Valentin RSS

Oracle Database Upgradation

user13134974
      Hi Oracle expert

I am planning to upgrade my live database from Oracle 10.2.0.3 to 11.2.0.3. It is currently running in AIX 6.1 which also migrate to 7.1. We are also upgrading hardware from IBM P6 to P7.

As a migration strategy I am choosing EXPDP (DUMP) IMPDP. Currently expdp takes around 18 hrs. dumpfile size around 1400 GB.

I usually take RMAN tape base backup weekly full and daily deferential.

Considering the above, would you please advice me the best practice for database migration in my environment.

I am also very much concern about my existing rman tape backup. What impact would be take place when I restore old data in my test environment after migration of database. I am maintaining rman catalog. Would I keep same db name of new database. If I keep same db name then existing entry name is also available in catalog. How it will be treated , any complexity is there?

Looking forward yours valuable suggestion / advice to start up the project .

Thanks

Rabi
        • 1. Re: Oracle Database Upgradation
          Srini Chavali-Oracle
          One option would be to install 11.2.0.3 on the new hardware, shutdown the database on the old hardware, copy over all necessary database files to the new hardware, and then perform a manual upgrade. This will likely be faster than your approach.

Complete Checklist for Manual Upgrades to 11gR2 [ID 837570.1]

Another option is to restore RMAN backups to the new host, then perform an upgrade.

RMAN Restore of Backups as Part of a Database Upgrade [ID 790559.1]

As for your RMAN questions, pl ask in the {forum:id=74} forum

HTH
          Srini
          • 2. Re: Oracle Database Upgradation
            Lubiez Jean-Valentin
            Hello,

Considering the above, would you please advice me the best practice for database migration in my environment.
            1400 GB is a rather large volume to export/import, so you may check other strategy as suggested by Srini Chavali.

The Best Practices are detailed on the upgrade guide:

Upgrade Guide

The Steps to follow are here.

Hope this help,
            Best regards
            Jean-Valentin Lubiez