5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2013 7:52 PM by Sharon

ORA-32000: write to SPFILE requested but SPFILE is not modifiable

Sharon
      Hello,
      I am not sure which category this question falls into. We are running 11G with ASM. In Enterprise Manager, I want to change the flash recovery area size. When I change the size, the following error message is returned: ORA-32000: write to SPFILE requested but SPFILE is not modifiable. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sharon
        • 1. Re: ORA-32000: write to SPFILE requested but SPFILE is not modifiable
          TSharma-Oracle
          Please see the MOS note;

*ORA-32000 not able to modify the rdbms spfile which is there in ASM [ID 1498307.1]*
          • 2. Re: ORA-32000: write to SPFILE requested but SPFILE is not modifiable
            ORA-32000: in Google 8000+ hits.
            Did you Google before making this request?

----------
            Sybrand Bakker
            Senior Oracle DBA
            • 3. Re: ORA-32000: write to SPFILE requested but SPFILE is not modifiable
              Sharon
              Hello,
              I am not sure where to find the note you mentioned. I am rather new at this and I am not really sure where to even start so that I can limit the problem
              down to a reasonable amount to search for.

Sharon
              • 4. Re: ORA-32000: write to SPFILE requested but SPFILE is not modifiable
                Osama_Mustafa
                Sharon wrote:
                Hello,
                I am not sure where to find the note you mentioned. I am rather new at this and I am not really sure where to even start so that I can limit the problem
                down to a reasonable amount to search for.

Sharon
                You can find this document --> https://support.oracle.com

Did you read sybrand Reply ? it will solve your issue
                1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: ORA-32000: write to SPFILE requested but SPFILE is not modifiable
                  Sharon
                  Hello All,
                  I solved the problem with help from the oracle forum and oracle support. Thank you!

Reference: ORA-32000 not able to modify the rdbms spfile which is there in ASM [ID 1498307.1] on Oracle Support (https://support.oracle.com)

Our SID: ax

I had 2 spfile<SID>.ora files
                  1) +DATA/AX/spfileax.ora                (ASM Disk)
                  2) C:\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\database\spfileax.ora

I also had an init<SID>.ora file in C:\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\database
                  1) initax.ora
                  2) This file contained the following: SPFILE='+DATA/ax/spfileax.ora'

I brought down the database and renamed (C:\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\database) spfileax.ora to spfileax.ora.bak.
                  I restarted the database and the error was corrected. Now my database points to the correct spfile which is on the ASM disk.

Useful Command: SQL> show parameter spfile (Shows you what spfile your system is pointing to)

Use the following code from http://www.idevelopment.info/data/Oracle/DBA_tips/Automatic_Storage_Management/ASM_39.shtml to check if
                  you have an existing SPFILE on your ASM disks.

SELECT
                  CONCAT('+' || disk_group_name, SYS_CONNECT_BY_PATH(alias_name, '/')) full_alias_path
                  , NVL(LPAD(type, 18), '<DIRECTORY>') type
                  FROM
                  ( SELECT
                  g.name disk_group_name
                  , a.parent_index pindex
                  , a.name alias_name
                  , a.reference_index rindex
                  , f.type type
                  FROM
                  v$asm_file f RIGHT OUTER JOIN v$asm_alias a USING (group_number, file_number)
                  JOIN v$asm_diskgroup g USING (group_number)
                  )
                  WHERE type = 'PARAMETERFILE'
                  START WITH (MOD(pindex, POWER(2, 24))) = 0
                  CONNECT BY PRIOR rindex = pindex;

Thank you for your help! I did google it before posting the request. Being pointed in the right direction really helped! Thanks again!