14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2013 5:56 AM by 1012900

odbc problem

Hi,

This is Hari,I got a problem when I was import metadata from oracle11g database to physical layer
      in repository through odbc connection.At that time I got an error like "The connection failed".
      Please give the solution for this.why I got such a type of error? please explain.

Thanks,
      Hari.B
        • 1. Re: odbc problem
          DavidVo
          Hi Hari,

You can test the odbc connection in Control Panel/ Administrative Tools.

hope it help you :
          http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17952_01/refman-5.1-en/connector-odbc-configuration-dsn-windows.html

Thanks,
          David,...
          • 2. Re: odbc problem
            Satya Ranki Reddy
            Hi,

Re: Connection failed in OBIEE 11g

1..Copy the tnsnames.ora from Oracle Database home (ORACLE_HOMENETWORKADMIN) to the following locations.

* OracleBI1networkadmin (Example: C:OBIOracle_BI1networkadmin)
            * oracle_commonnetworkadmin (Example: C:OBIoracle_commonnetworkadmin)

2.Set the TNS_ADMIN environment variable value with one of the copied locations in the step 1 in user.cmd or http://user.sh file depending on your OS.
            This file will be found under
            instancesinstance1bifoundationOracleBIApplicationcoreapplicationsetup
            (Example : C:OBIinstancesinstance2bifoundationOracleBIApplicationcoreapplicationsetup)

Thanks
            Satya
            1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: odbc problem
              Ram..
              Hi,

U must do this before ur repository creation

1. Copied TNSnames.ora,Sqlnet.ora file to the following locations as suggested

C:\OBIEE_11g_HOME\Oracle_BI1\network\admin

C:\OBIEE_11g_HOME\oracle_common\network and C:\OBIEE_11g_HOME\oracle_common\admin (C:\OBIEE_11g_HOME\oracle_common\network\admin doesn't exist in OBIEE 11.1.1.5 installation directory. so copied tns file to those two locations)

2. Created environment variable TNS_ADMIN with value C:\OBIEE_11g_HOME\Oracle_BI1\network\admin

3. updated user.cmd in the folder C:\OBIEE_11g_HOME\instances\instance2\bifoundation\OracleBIApplication\coreapplication\setup with
              TNS_ADMIN=C:\OBIEE_11g_HOME\Oracle_BI1\network\admin

Please mark if it correct\helpful...

Thanks...

Edited by: 979493 on Jun 5, 2013 2:03 AM

Edited by: 979493 on Jun 5, 2013 2:14 AM
              1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: odbc problem

Hi Guys,

Thanks all of you for your replies.

Please clarify the following another doubt.

I am using oracle 11g as my underline database.shall i make connection through odbc when i was importing metadata?

when i choose odbc connection it shows error in obiee11g.

it execute when i took oci connection.

what is the problem here.in obiee 10g i can choose both when i was importing metadata.i couldn't get any problem.

Please clarify this.

Thanks,

Hari.B

• 5. Re: odbc problem
                  Reddy G

while using using oracle as database it is better go for native OCI.

when i choose odbc connection it shows error in obiee11g.

it execute when i took oci connection.

please check your ODBC details tns name,user details better test the connection

• 6. Re: odbc problem

how to check it is i don't know please guide me how to rectify my problem i am using windows 7 32 bit os

• 7. Re: odbc problem
                      Reddy G

goto control panel-->adminsitrative tools-->Data sources(ODBC)-->System DSN/User DSN(depends how u configured).. here check your Configured DSN,you have an option to "Test Connection"

• 8. Re: odbc problem

Thank you,

can i install obiee11g in windows7 32bit sp1? Please give instance reply.

• 9. Re: odbc problem
                          Reddy G

yes you can download obiee 11g 32 bit version..

• 10. Re: odbc problem

Hi,

when i was opening obiee analytics i got an error in the browser like the below.

Error 404--Not Found

From RFC 2068 Hypertext Transfer Protocol -- HTTP/1.1:

10.4.5 404 Not Found

The server has not found anything matching the Request-URI. No indication is given of whether the condition is temporary or permanent.

If the server does not wish to make this information available to the client, the status code 403 (Forbidden) can be used instead. The 410 (Gone) status code SHOULD be used if the server knows, through some internally configurable mechanism, that an old resource is permanently unavailable and has no forwarding address.

please give the solution for that problem.

in the enterprise manager the fusion middleware does not 100% up and run.it run 63% only.

• 11. Re: odbc problem
                              Reddy G

see which component is down ..check the logs if possible post here

please mark the answers which are helpful/correct to you

• 12. Re: odbc problem
                                Satya Ranki Reddy

HI,

The presentation service was down due to this only you will get this error.

Check in command mode

C:\Oracle\Middleware\instances\instance1\bin>opmnctl status

Please check log files as well you can get clue.

http://satyaobieesolutions.blogspot.com/2013/03/start-stop-services-on-obiee-11g-i-have.html

How to start individual services in OBIEE 11g please refer above link.

Thanks,

Satya Ranki reddy

• 13. Re: odbc problem

Hi Guys,

please resolve my problem. i got a problem when i was import metadata to physical layer by using odbc 3.5 i got error "the connection failed"

why it comes? how to rectify my problem? i am using oracle 11g as my underline database.i am already copy that tnsnames.ora file from oracle home to obiee home.

please solve it

thanks

hari

• 14. Re: odbc problem

thanks