This discussion is archived
11 Replies Latest reply: Jun 6, 2013 5:31 AM by user130038 RSS

Oracle 10.2.0.1 to 10.2.0.5 question

user130038 Pro
Currently Being Moderated
Hi there

I am preparing new oracle servers for Oracle 10gR2 (my client does have extended support).

I am moving databases (10.2.0.5) from older hardware/servers to new ones and I cannot upgrade the DB during this process. So I have to make sure that whatever oracle patches were applied to existing servers are included in the new server.

My question is: when I'll upgrade 10gR2 from 10.2.0.1 to 10.2.0.5, does the 10.2.0.5 patchset include all CPUs/interim-patches/patches [between 10.2.0.1 to 10.2.0.5 release] that may or may not have been applied on existing server? What is the best approach to verify that both servers are at exact same oracle patch level? I know there may be additional patches applied after upgrade to 10.2.0.5.
I hope my question makes some sense :-)

Best regards

Edited by: user130038 on Jun 5, 2013 8:02 AM
  • 1. Re: Oracle 10.2.0.1 to 10.2.0.5 question
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Pl post OS details.

On option is to clone the ORACLE_HOME binaries from the old server to new - this will ensure that the binaries are identical.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/em.102/b16227/oui7_cloning.htm

HTH
    Srini
  • 2. Re: Oracle 10.2.0.1 to 10.2.0.5 question
    TSharma-Oracle Guru
    One way is to check using opatch -lsinventory. Run this command on both sides and compare the patches. If you are too concerned that patches should be exact then you should CLONE the oracle home. Here are few links you can use to learn the cloning.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/em.102/b16227/oui7_cloning.htm#CEGFGIDH
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/install.102/b15660/app_cloning.htm
  • 3. Re: Oracle 10.2.0.1 to 10.2.0.5 question
    user130038 Pro
    Hi Srini

All the existing servers have Redhat Enterprise Linux 64-bit (different versions though, 4.6, 4.7, 5.8 and 5.9). All the new servers will have Redhat Enterprise Linux 64-bit version 5.8 (this is version lower than what one of the existing servers have but higher version as compared to the rest). So in short

Existing servers:
    ==========
    Redhat Enterprise Linux 64-bit
    Version: 4.6, 4.7, 5.8 and 5.9
    DB Storage: Some DBs are on Filesystem and some on ASM.
    Oracle versions: 10.2.0.4 and 10.2.0.5

New Servers:
    =========
    Redhat Enterprise Linux 64-bit
    Version: *5.8* only
    DB Storage: Same as on existing server
    Oracle versions: same as on existing server

Best regards

Edited by: user130038 on Jun 5, 2013 9:13 AM
  • 4. Re: Oracle 10.2.0.1 to 10.2.0.5 question
    user130038 Pro
    Thanks TSharma.

opatch -lsinventory lists a huge list. Is there a better way to compare?

I will go through the documents for Oracle Home cloning. Never tried this before and looks like it is time I do.
  • 5. Re: Oracle 10.2.0.1 to 10.2.0.5 question
    user130038 Pro
    Questions for you:

Does Oracle home cloning work across servers? My source Oracle Home is on one server and the cloned home will be on a different server?

UPDATE: I got the answer to this one from the 2nd doc you have provided reference to. Thank you!!

I have read conflicting information about this but can ASM Home also be cloned?

Edited by: user130038 on Jun 5, 2013 9:18 AM

Edited by: user130038 on Jun 5, 2013 9:21 AM
  • 6. Re: Oracle 10.2.0.1 to 10.2.0.5 question
    TSharma-Oracle Guru
    Normally it gives you an output in a order so it is easy to check otherwise you can copy the content to the textpad and compare both textpad files using some tool.
  • 7. Re: Oracle 10.2.0.1 to 10.2.0.5 question
    TSharma-Oracle Guru
    I believe you can clone ASM home. I had successfully done this in past.
  • 8. Re: Oracle 10.2.0.1 to 10.2.0.5 question
    user130038 wrote:
    Questions for you:

Does Oracle home cloning work across servers? My source Oracle Home is on one server and the cloned home will be on a different server?
    Yes it does.
    UPDATE: I got the answer to this one from the 2nd doc you have provided reference to. Thank you!!

No - pl see the first NOTE section in this MOS Doc

Cloning An Existing Oracle10g Release 2 (10.2.0.x) RDBMS Installation Using OUI [ID 559304.1]

All of this has already been discussed in your previous post - How to 'move' databases from one server to another - what is the point of repeating the thread ?

HTH
    Srini
  • 9. Re: Oracle 10.2.0.1 to 10.2.0.5 question
    TSharma-Oracle Guru
    Srini Chavali wrote:
    user130038 wrote:
    Questions for you:

Yes it does.

Cloning An Existing Oracle10g Release 2 (10.2.0.x) RDBMS Installation Using OUI [ID 559304.1]

All of this has already been discussed in your previous post - How to 'move' databases from one server to another - what is the point of repeating the thread ?

HTH
    Srini
    Hi Srini, That MOS doc says that particular note should not be used to clone ASM home. This does not mean that you cannot clone ASM home.
    Why do you think that you cannot clone or replicate ASM home?
  • 10. Re: Oracle 10.2.0.1 to 10.2.0.5 question
    You are correct - that note is applicable to only regular database homes - it does not necessarily mean that ASM homes cannot be cloned. I do not have any experience with cloning ASM homes.

There are hints on the internet about scripts/processes available to clone 10gR2 ASM homes - I would suggest you open an SR to get an official document from Support.

For 11gR1 see http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/rac.111/b28254/clonerac.htm - I do not see a similar doc for 11gR2 - another SR might be appropriate here

HTH
    Srini
  • 11. Re: Oracle 10.2.0.1 to 10.2.0.5 question
    user130038 Pro
    Srini Chavali wrote:
    user130038 wrote:
    Questions for you:

Yes it does.

HTH
    Srini
    Thanks for your input Srini - this is not repetition of my previous thread. I wanted to get clarification on the question whether or not ASM Home can be cloned - and if not, why?

I think I am going to open SR with Oracle Support as you have suggested.

Thank you so much!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points