2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 7, 2013 11:44 AM by yesh nandi RSS

Difference between XMLTYPE table and relational table with 1 Col of XMLTYPE

yesh nandi
      Hello:

I am on 11.2.0.2 ....also new to XMLDB.

(a) What is the difference between a XMLTYPE table and a relational table with 1 column of XMLTYPE ?

(b) Is it possible to store multiple XML docs in the same row and XMLTYPE column ? I am trying to store xslx (Excel) document which contans many XML docs and I don't know how to store it

Thanks for help - Yesh
        • 1. Re: Difference between XMLTYPE table and relational table with 1 Col of XMLTYPE
          odie_63
          (a) What is the difference between a XMLTYPE table and a relational table with 1 column of XMLTYPE ?
          The difference mostly resides in the possible interaction with the XML DB repository.
          When you're using an XMLType table, you can load XML instances as resources in the repository with their actual content being stored in the table.

With Object-Relational storage, you can also improve loading performance via FTP protocol. This is only available for XMLType table.

(b) Is it possible to store multiple XML docs in the same row and XMLTYPE column ?
          Well, can you store two strings in a single VARCHAR2 column? Obviously no.
          The same goes for XMLType.
          I am trying to store xslx (Excel) document which contans many XML docs and I don't know how to store it
          An Open XML archive may contain multiple parts that are XML documents, but also images, or any embedded binary content too.
          You're gonna have to filter only those XML parts (includings .rels parts), and insert each one in a separate row.
          • 2. Re: Difference between XMLTYPE table and relational table with 1 Col of XMLTYPE
            yesh nandi
            Thanks odie.

Can you point me to some documentation on how to parse an xslx document and insert in a separate row .....

Since Excel is so prevalent in the financial analytical desktop world, this requirement to parse it and store it in XML DB would be a constant need ....... so wondering if there is some code already out there that I could leverage .....

I appreciate your guidance - Yesh