1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply: May 29, 2007 10:12 AM by 580153 RSS

"IP addr cannot be determined" install error

I get the following Early Adopters Release install error --- "Thrown when the IP address of a host cannot be determined"

The IP addr of the Mac is static.

Anyone have any ideas where ora installer is looking for the the IP address and how to fix this problem?

Regards,
      Al Malin
        • 1. Re: Fixed!
          Dinked around long enough and fixed it. Open netinfo and select the node "machines". For convenience I created a copy of "localhost" by selecting it and clicked on the "Duplicate" icon. Then changed "ip_address" to the static address and "name" to a host name of my chosing. Lastly, saved the changes.

No more complaints from ora installer after clicking it's "Retry" button.

Regared,
          Al Malin
          • 2. Re: problems later on in install
            Two of the config assistants failed. They may be related to a wrong choice for the "serves" property of the new entry. Instead of "./local" I'm going to try "../network".

Regards,
            Al Malin
            • 3. Re: "IP addr cannot be determined" install error
              dhjones
              Hi Al:
              Check out the other thread about the 2 assistants failing. Several of us are having this issue, with no resolution. If you having any luck at fixing it, we would love to know your solution!
              David
              • 4. Re: problems later on in install
                Rob Admin
                Ali, did you have any luck?

Where is the Installer getting it's IP address and hostname from in the first place?

Will Oracle will OK if this address is set to localhost and 127.0.0.1? Will other computers be able to connect? Anyone know if there are side effects to this for other applications?
                • 5. Re: problems later on in install
                  Ronald Rood
                  localhost and 127.0.0.1? Will other computers be able
                  to connect? Anyone know if there are side effects to
                  this for other applications?
                  I have mine running on 127.0.0.1 and I can connect without any problems. I do use ssh tunnels si it might be a bit different when you use plain sql*net.

Ronald.
                  --------------------------------------
                  http://homepage.mac.com/ik_zelf/oracle
                  • 6. Re: problems later on in install
                    sdcsdc
                    I got around it just by adding my hostname & IP address to /etc/hosts file.
                    • 7. Re: problems later on in install
                      to begin with, the error message itself is borked. the problem is not that the IP address can't be determined, it's that the name of the host fails to resolve during a reverse-DNS lookup. when I look in my logs I see the following:
                      Calling Query netQueries10.1.0.3.0 getHostIPAddress
                      Query Returned: 192.168.0.7
                      Calling Query netQueries10.1.0.3.0 getHostNameForIPAddress

ipAddress = 192.168.0.7

Query Exception: UnknownHostException
                      Query Exception Class: class oracle.sysman.oii.oiil.OiilQueryException
                      *** Cancel Dialog: ***
                      User Selected: Stop installation of all products.

Thrown when the IP address of a host cannot be determined
                      from which it's obvious that it got my IP address correct... yes, I can add an entry like this:
                      192.168.0.7 nindalf
                      to /etc/hosts but the problem is that I want to run 10g on a powerbook which I will use at home, at work, at my girlfriends, at my office, etc... and wherever I go, my IP address will be different... I don't want to have to edit the hosts file every time I'm somewhere else!!

anyone got any bright ideas?
                      • 8. Re: problems later on in install
                        I keep getting the error, even though I create an entry with my ip address in the /etc/hosts file. Its driving me nuts, and the end result is that the install isn't clean.

I have the same concern as you. I'm installing this on a laptop so I can do dev type work on it (mostly experimental stuff).
                        • 9. Re: problems later on in install
                          Okay, so I may have made a liar out of myself. I rebooted after the last correction to the hosts file (making sure I had the ip address correct), and the error went away. Now the question is, will the installation work?
                          • 10. Re: problems later on in install
                            Ronald Rood
                            After the installation there is no problem. The listener can listen to 127.0.0.1 and the clients can connect to it. You will have problems with the graphical tools because for some reason the want to know more about the system.
                            The only situation that forced a boot was an incorrect dns entry and dns is cached. For the rest it is enough to add the machine to the netinfo database. I have never added anything to /etc/hosts.
                            As long as you can ping the machine by it's name the installation should work.

Ronald
                            http://homepage.mac.com/ik_zelf/oracle
                            • 11. Re: problems later on in install
                              What ultimately worked was from http://www.crispdata.com/oracle_osx/. I set my machine (jeffsmachine.local) to 127.0.0.1 for the installation, and then disconnected my machine from any network.

This has been the first fully functional installation after many tries. I can actually connect to the database with a gui tool I'm trying out.
                              • 12. Re: problems later on in install
                                amardeep.sidhu
                                in my case also it worked fine by adding an entry to /etc/hosts

I was installing 10gR1 on Fedora Core 6

Thanks
                                Sidhu
                                • 13. Re: problems later on in install
                                  I got to this point where i receive the error during installation. I added my static ip address and hostname to the /etc/hosts file, restarted and tried reinstalling. I got the error again, so i changed the IP in the hosts file to 127.0.0.1 and restarted and reinstalled. Still get the error. Anyone have any recommendations as to what i should do next??
                                  • 14. Re: problems later on in install
                                    BTW i just pinged jworrins-computer.local (my host) and it resolved perfectly fine to my IP address that i have set in my hosts file....
                                    1 2 Previous Next