This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 10, 2013 2:53 AM by kgronau RSS

DG4ODBC MSSQL query works in sql, but won't compile in PL/SQL.

Jim Smith Expert
Currently Being Moderated
I'm using DG4ODBC from 11g to query a SQL Server database. The query I'm using works in a SQL DEveloper SQL worksheet and sqlplus, but won't compile in a PL/SQL procedure.

The query is
  INSERT
  INTO crm_labels
    (
      accountid,
      label_name,
      cir_labelcode,
      cir_knownasname,
      cir_countryidname,
      parentaccountidname,
      cir_customertypecode1,
      cir_customertypecode2,
      cir_dealstatus
    )
  SELECT "AccountId",
    REPLACE("Name",chr(0)) label_name,
    REPLACE("Cir_labelcode",chr(0)) ,
    REPLACE("Cir_knownasname",chr(0)),
    REPLACE("cir_countryidName",chr(0)),
    REPLACE("ParentAccountIdName",chr(0)),
    "Cir_customertypecode1",
    "Cir_customertypecode2",
    "Cir_dealstatus"
  FROM "dbo"."Account"@crmsvc
  WHERE "Cir_labelcode" IS NOT NULL;
The error message is
Error(1): ORA-04052: error occurred when looking up remote object dbo.Account@CRMSVC ORA-01948: identifier's name length (34) exceeds maximum (30)
I'm guessing that it is attempting to describe additional columns in the Account table.

If I remove the dbo,
  FROM "Account"@crmsvc
I get
Error(1): ORA-04052: error occurred when looking up remote object PUBLIC.Account@CRMSVC ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1 ORA-28500: connection from ORACLE to a non-Oracle system returned this message: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Serve 
which is less than helpful. However, if I try to use the same query to create a materialized view, I get.
SQL Error: ORA-04052: error occurred when looking up remote object PUBLIC.Account@CRMSVC
ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1
ORA-28500: connection from ORACLE to a non-Oracle system returned this message:
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid column name 'Address1_TimeZoneRuleVersionNu'. {42S22,NativeErr = 207}[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid column name 'Address1_UTCConversionTimeZone'. {42S22,NativeErr = 207}[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid column name 'Address2_TimeZoneRuleVersionNu'. {42S22,NativeErr = 207}[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid column name 'Address2_UTCConversionTimeZone'. {42S22,NativeErr = 207}[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid column name 'Pias_NewLabelInDealNotificatio'. {42S22,NativeErr = 207}
ORA-02063: preceding 2 lines from CRMSVC
which seems to confim that in some circumstance, oracle will attempt to parse more than was asked for.

Any work arounds?

BANNER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.3.0 - 64bit Production
PL/SQL Release 11.2.0.3.0 - Production
CORE 11.2.0.3.0 Production
TNS for 64-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.3.0 - Production
NLSRTL Version 11.2.0.3.0 - Production

DG4ODBC is also 11.2.0.3
  • 1. Re: DG4ODBC MSSQL query works in sql, but won't compile in PL/SQL.
    kgronau Guru
    Currently Being Moderated

The gateway claims about this column "Address1_TimeZoneRuleVersionNu" which is not listed in your select list.

When a gateway connection is established it first checks out all columns of the table you want to select to determine the data types and then it fetches the data for the columns you want to select. But there's also an exception - when you use functions the gateway is not able to translate into the syntax of the foreign database. in this case ALL columns will be fetched into the Oracle database and the result is processed locally (post processing).

You're using replace function which won't be mapped to the foreign database equivalent using DG4ODBC so it will post process the result and fetch from all columns all the data into the Oracle database. Your table contains a column which exceeds the 30 character limitation of Oracle, hence the select will fail.

The only work around is to create a view on the foreign database side which reduces the column name length to 30 characters or less.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points