2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2013 9:35 PM by JohnWatson

Rman - archivelogs / archivelog backups never becoming obsolete

User549016-OC
      I'm looking at four servers running rman backups. Although servers 1 and 2 are running identical scripts and parameters, when appropriate server 1 considers the archivelogs and archivelog backups obsolete and deletes them with "delete noprompt obsolete" commands while the other does not.

Servers 3 and 4 are running a modified version of the script servers 1 and 2 are running. Again, the archivelogs and their backups become obsolete on server 4 while server 3 does not. All four servers are running RHEL 5.4. Servers 1-3's databases are 10.2.0.3 and server 4's is 10.2.0.5. For brevity I'll concentrate on the 3/4 version in this post.

run
      {
      delete noprompt obsolete;
      configure controlfile autobackup format for device type disk to '+RECOVERY/sid/%F';
      recover copy of database with tag 'LEVEL_0' until time 'sysdate-1.5';
      backup incremental level 1 cumulative for recover of copy with tag 'LEVEL_0' database format '+RECOVERY/sid/%d_t%t_s%s_p%p_lvl1';
      backup archivelog all not backed up format '+RECOVERY/sid/%d_t%t_s%s_p%p_arch';
      configure controlfile autobackup format for device type disk to '/backup/oracle/backup/rman/%F';
      backup backupset completed after 'sysdate-1/48' format '/backup/oracle/backup/rman/%d_t%t_s%s_p%p_bakcopy';
      backup as compressed backupset datafilecopy all noduplicates format '/backup/oracle/backup/rman/%d_t%t_s%s_p%p_dfcopy' keep until time 'sysdate+2' logs;
      configure controlfile autobackup format for device type disk to '+RECOVERY/sid/%F';
      crosscheck backup; crosscheck datafilecopy all;
      change archivelog all crosscheck;
      delete noprompt obsolete;
      }

RMAN configuration parameters are:
      CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO RECOVERY WINDOW OF 1 DAYS;
      CONFIGURE BACKUP OPTIMIZATION OFF; # default
      CONFIGURE DEFAULT DEVICE TYPE TO DISK; # default
      CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;
      CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO '+RECOVERY/sid/%F';
      CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE DISK PARALLELISM 1 BACKUP TYPE TO BACKUPSET; # default
      CONFIGURE DATAFILE BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default
      CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default
      CONFIGURE CHANNEL DEVICE TYPE DISK FORMAT '+RECOVERY/sid/%d_%t_%s_%p';
      CONFIGURE MAXSETSIZE TO UNLIMITED; # default
      CONFIGURE ENCRYPTION FOR DATABASE OFF; # default
      CONFIGURE ENCRYPTION ALGORITHM 'AES128'; # default
      CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY TO NONE; # default
      CONFIGURE SNAPSHOT CONTROLFILE NAME TO '/cots/oracle/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/dbs/snapcf_sid.f'; # default

I'm aware of various rman commands that will delete the archivelogs and their backups that should be considered obsolete but what I'm after is getting rman to consider them obsolete and delete them automatically. BTW - restore database preview does in fact omit the archivelogs that should be considered obsolete.

How can I make this happen? Is there a different controling parameter somewhere that needs to be set a certain way to fix my issue?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Brian