This discussion is archived
1 2 3 28 Previous Next 413 Replies Latest reply: Sep 23, 2013 12:13 AM by BluShadow RSS

Welcome to the new OTN Community!

sonyabarry Guru Moderator
Currently Being Moderated

This is the place to let us know what you think - there will be a few bumps in the first few days.  If you have issues or questions about the new infrastructure please let us know!

• 1. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    PhHein Guru Moderator

Hi Sonya,

now I'm able to log in after some trouble earlier today. In most spaces the list of top contributers just show the ID instead of the name. I reckon that's still a hiccup after the upgrade.

Regards, Phil

Uhm, I'm not in read only mode, how ever that has happened.

Where are the code tags, or rather what are they? The old {code} tags don't work{code}

Locked threads aren't rendered as locked in the various views.

Links to posts within a thread always lead to the starting post of the thread.

After adding a reply you end up at the first post, possibly the same as the last point.

• 2. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE

I would like to thank OTN Team For this great Effort , Which is Amazing And Nice but we need some time to Get used to it.But i would like to Know what is Task List mean ? is it task assigned by OTN or  it is Like to do list. So hope all of us try to make this forum is the best.

Best Regards

Osama

• 3. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    Mark1970 Newbie

I've just logged in the new OTN forum, but I can't find my old questions posted in the past?

Where can I find them?

• 4. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE

You can find them

Browse Button ( Top ) ---> Content --> choose Participated

You will find all your old threads.

• 5. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE

sonyabarry wrote:

This is the place to let us know what you think - there will be a few bumps in the first few days.  If you have issues or questions about the new infrastructure please let us know!

Interesting is the first impression that comes to mind...

Will likely take some time to get use to. A couple of issues I spotted earlier when it was still in read-only mode.

Old style Jive tags for italics (using the + character), does not always work in old posts. Seems like it does not like when it is used to put text containing the ampersand (&) character in italics.

Some URLs are broken (specifically the PL/SQL forum's FAQ - not sure if Blu fixed that in the meantime) - any means to get old postings' URLs to work consistently?

Er.. where is preview mode btw for checking before posting?

• 6. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    _RahulS_ Guru

I have lost many points during this migration, I had 2950(or may be +) points now I have just 2447, can I know why?

and Also 244"7", how  is that possible we get either 5 or 10 points why an odd number at the end?

• 7. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    Aman.... Oracle ACE

Well, first impression is, it looks a lot like an Appleish kind of UI and the font size is a little too big. I am not sure about others but I am finding it a lot bigger than the old forums. And the small rectangle along with the handle , is it for the profile pic? And just clicked on "Following" over this thread but can't Unfollow , nothing is happening when clicking on the same button   .

Aman....

• 8. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

Not sure about fixing it... I managed to find the SQL and PL/SQL FAQ (for some bizarre reason the new forum only likes to show one announcement message at a time at the top - the FAQ is there).  Seems a lot of the old Jive tags like the noformat tags etc. seem to be defunct, so the FAQ is going to need some editing, and I don't know where to start in putting all the links right. (Sonya did warn us that links would be broken).

For now, I've at least locked the FAQ thread (SONYA - Are all previously locked threads unlocked by default? that could be a pain)

I can see this may take some time to resolve...

BillyVerreynne wrote:

Some URLs are broken (specifically the PL/SQL forum's FAQ - not sure if Blu fixed that in the meantime) - any means to get old postings' URLs to work consistently?

• 9. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    Aman.... Oracle ACE

What is Thread Style and Discussion style , no change for me changing to either Flat or Threaded?

Aman....

• 10. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    Bhabani Ranjan Guru

It looks clumsy and more complicated. Earlier one was quite clean and easy readable. There are lot of unnecessary enhancement which is quite similar to social networking. Probably it will take some time to familar with the user interface. Lets see.

• 11. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE

Flat typically means sorted by date/subject/sender/recipient only.

Threaded means that replies are tagged to the original posting responded to, within the sorted sequence - it is suppose to read like a conversation as in "he said" and "he responded to that" and then "he replied to that".

Both have their advantages... I prefer mail as flat and forum type postings as threaded (makes following the multiple conversations in a single thread easier).

• 12. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    JohnGoodwin Oracle ACE

Hey Rahul you lost a five hundred, I have lost 10,000 points which surely can't be right.

If there is going to be a points system then it should really match the old system or just ditch it altogether.

The whole points thing is a complete mess I can see someone that has been given an extra 20,000 points

Check this person out then 3004 , what a joke

John

• 13. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    Aman.... Oracle ACE

oh thanks BillyVerreynne(sorry testing the new @ sign ) .  I am still not able to make up mind that I am liking the new forums or not .

Regards

Aman....

• 14. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    Rahul_India Journeyer

Please bring back the old design which was so clean and readable.

New design is just .

How come i have 932 points .Before the new OTN design i only had around 300-400 points

1 2 3 28 Previous Next