This discussion is archived
1 13 14 15 16 17 28 Previous Next 413 Replies Latest reply: Sep 23, 2013 12:13 AM by BluShadow Go to original post RSS
  • 210. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    PhHein Guru Moderator
    Currently Being Moderated

As posted before, Sonya is busy tracking the reported bugs and comments. So don't expect her to reply to every post. The new OTN started out with a minimal feature set, so there's more to come after the initial problems and bugs have been fixed.

• 211. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    Paul M. Oracle ACE

I think that most of these negative comments are based on emotional logic.

I lost almost all this day trying to do something, and nothing worked.

If I release such a mess to one of my customers, the minimum I would expect would be to be fired.

• 212. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    PhHein Guru Moderator

You are paying Oracle to use the OTN? You're comparing different things here and it's your personal problem if you try for that long. I've given up after ten minutes.

• 213. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    Paul M. Oracle ACE

I've given up after ten minutes.

Good. Next time I'll give up after ten seconds.

• 214. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    PhHein Guru Moderator

Just give them a few days to sort out stuff and it will be ok.

• 215. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    sonyabarry Guru Moderator

Thank you everyone for your brutal honesty.  

We have been working on this round the clock since launch and will continue to do so.  I've been reading and haven't had time to respond individually, so I started a new thread addressing the big stuff - Update on site issues

We will start addressing the smaller issues mentioned here after the P1s have been completely resolved and stable for a while. 

Sonya

• 216. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    PhHein Guru Moderator

Chin up! You'll get it sorted.

• 217. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    TimG Guru

Suggesting that people should have lowered expectations because they don't pay doesn't fly in the Web 2.0 world (and I doubt that would be Sonya's position!).  OTN adds value to Oracle's offering, much of that value coming from non-employees.  Some very dedicated posters who devote lots of time to help others use Oracle products are among those grumbling here.

Re the issues I agree we should just sit tight for a few days and see how things shape up, and I'm sure some people are just getting annoyed by the learning curve.  But a formal update / maybe a list of what's being addressed first would help those of us trying to keep the faith!

--EDIT:  While I was posting, I see that Sonya has done exactly that.  Thanks Sonya!

• 218. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    damorgan Oracle ACE Director

Where is the help for the people logged on and looking for help?

I can't find anything to tell me how to format code.

I can't find anything to tell me how to set a picture/icon

I can't find anything to tell me how to query posts that have zero replies

I can't find pretty much anything I want to make it possible to contribute.

My first impression ... a big effort but the end-result is both slow and not user-friendly. Put together a focus group in Redwood Shores  tomorrow and I would be happy to fly down and help the developers understand how what they created does not work for me when I'm trying to help others asking questions.

If nothing else, Oracle being the experts in databases, should be able to build an interface that accepts queries. Where, here, can I write a query to find what I want?

• 219. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    Dude! Guru

There is lots of new stuff and that's all nice and dandy, but people's experience so far is overall negative. "Nice, but needs to get used to", for instance, is not a positive feedback.

I think to question whether or not the forum software was actually tested, is just provoking and understandable under the current circumstances. I think it is rather nasty to say that people's negative comments are based on emotional logic, mindless criticism and lack of experience with the new system.

Software testing may not be perfect, but it does not explain the discrepancy between expectation and actual design or functionality. Almost all criticism includes issues with the presentation of information and work-flow. Was the forum management or oak-table not aware of it and now needs to collect info, waiting for the first wave to pass by?

There are drastic changes and what used to work in the past may not work anymore, or may not be needed anymore. But where is the information how things work or are supposed to work now? Shouldn't this be available? Does Oracle not have enough staff to handle the tasks. Perhaps it would have been better to postpone the upgrade further.

I think many of the current issues, including strange behavior of the editor, are perhaps stability or connectivity related problems. However, that's no reason for lack of providing information or communication about the current status of the upgrade.

Message was edited by: Dude

Meanwhile there was a status update about the forum situation, while I was writing the response.

• 220. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    jgarry Guru

Wish list:

Navigation like   All Places > Developer > English > Technology Network Community > Community Feedback and Suggestions (Do Not Post Product-Related Questions Here)  also at the bottom of a thread, so you don't have to scroll back up.

• 221. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    Paul M. Oracle ACE

You are paying Oracle to use the OTN?.

I don't, but my customers do (hundreds of databases and other Oracle products).

And these fora are (I wouldn't want to have to say were) a useful help to help them.

• 222. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    9423755 Explorer

All I can say is, what a shambles.  Supposedly one of the world's best technology companies has released an update to its forums that is absolutely, shockingly, diabolically bad.  What an advert for Oracle technology and, perhaps worse, for Oracle's services sector.

• 223. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    jgarry Guru

damorgan wrote:

Where is the help for the people logged on and looking for help?

I can't find anything to tell me how to format code.

My first impression ... a big effort but the end-result is both slow and not user-friendly. Put together a focus group in Redwood Shores  tomorrow and I would be happy to fly down and help the developers understand how what they created does not work for me when I'm trying to help others asking question

If nothing else, Oracle being the experts in databases, should be able to build an interface that accepts queries. Where, here, can I write a query to find what I want?

_modifiedtitle="true" in the html editor pre class seems to get the slide bar.

• 224. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    EJP Guru

> The login is weird and probably still being experimented with

I don't see any reason why a single-signon system that has been working for years should be experimented with, or why released software should contain experiments.

Yesterday I had a fun hour trying to post this reply. Started at the home page, logged in,  went to the thread, went to page 13, I am then shown as logged out, so I log in, so I am then taken back to the home page and the whole cycle repeated.

1 13 14 15 16 17 28 Previous Next