1 2 Previous Next 27 Replies Latest reply: Oct 31, 2013 5:42 AM by gimbal2 RSS

Communications tab - unread

Nicolas.Gasparotto

Hi,

In the communications tabs, mark all unread messages as read, counter is drop down to 0.

Change tab, counter returns back to original and non-zero value...

Nicolas.

PS: if I reply to a unread thread, counter change down. But if I don't reply, counter remains unchanged.

• 1. Re: Communications tab - unread
          PhHein

Yes, same here. I have tried all sorts of stuff, but the counter resets itself and the little triangle icon turns blue again.

• 2. Re: Communications tab - unread
            Hemant K Chitale

Yes, the "Communications" counter of unread messages gets reset to 1 even though I specifically set the message to be "read"

This is for the Communications Announcement : "The site is still in read-only mode. Please don't try to log in"

Hemant K Chitale

• 3. Re: Communications tab - unread
              Nicolas.Gasparotto

It's maybe wrong wording after all, should we read it as "not responded" instead of "unread" ?

Anyway, it keeps increasing and that's rather annoying, we do not necessarily respond to every single thread we want to follow or thread we already responded to.

Nicolas.

• 4. Re: Communications tab - unread
                Nicolas.Gasparotto

It was working fine till end of last week, but again, same behavior. The number of unread discussions keeps increasing despite a click on "mark all as read".

Nicolas.

• 5. Re: Communications tab - unread
                  Nicolas.Gasparotto

How to get ridd off read messages from communication tab ??? As soon as I change to an other tba, they become unread again and again. It's unusable in the current state, number is only increasing...

Nicolas.

• 6. Re: Communications tab - unread
                    Dude!

FWIW, it works fine for me. When I select a discussion in left window the blue triangle turns white and the unread counter decreases and remains when I select another. I can also play with the mark read and unread options without problems. However, I remember I had the issue you described a couple of days ago, but no idea what fixed it.

The whole thing seems to be going south and is not much fun to work with anymore. My landing page preferences does not work and the Overview and Content views are out of sync. I receive emails for some discussions where I shouldn't. The editor is unreliable. The only thing that apparently works is playing with avatars. Traffic in many forums appears to be decreasing.

• 7. Re: Communications tab - unread
                      PhHein

Dude wrote:

FWIW, it works fine for me. When I select a discussion in left window the blue triangle turns white and the unread counter decreases and remains when I select another. I can also play with the mark read and unread options without problems. However, I remember I had the issue you described a couple of days ago, but no idea what fixed it.

The whole thing seems to be going south and is not much fun to work with anymore. My landing page preferences does not work and the Overview and Content views are out of sync. I receive emails for some discussions where I shouldn't. The editor is unreliable. The only thing that apparently works is playing with avatars. Traffic in many forums appears to be decreasing.

It still doesn't work for me. I agree on your other comments!

• 8. Re: Communications tab - unread
                        jgarry

It's broke for me, also agree on other comments (except I don't even bother to look at the emails).

• 9. Re: Communications tab - unread
                          Hemant K Chitale

>Traffic in many forums appears to be decreasing.

Yes.  I've noticed that too.

Hemant K Chitale

• 10. Re: Communications tab - unread
                            Nicolas.Gasparotto

I'd second Phil and Joel, also agreed on all your comments. And about a decreasing traffic, I noticed similar behavior after last upgrade in 2008. And that one was dramatically for less change that the current one.

There are too many broken things, especially the editor which is the most basic feature which MUST work on an IT forum ! Never understood how it is possible that Oracle OTN forums cannot have a simple working editor whereas much smaller "communities" have a nice and working editor. If we get a proper one, that could help to increase again the traffic.

This and also change of behavior across the days and ... and ... and ... and introduced broken new feature like the one I was complaining here won't help neither...

Nicolas.

• 11. Re: Communications tab - unread
                              BrianPa

I have the same experience.  It worked last week, and does not now.  I see the same 3 posts in the Communications tab, and after clicking on them and marking as read they clear, but as soon as I go to another page they are back.  Also, the content in those posts is not up to date (example: the "Update on site issues" thread is in my list, and the last reply it shows to that post is ATD to jariola, post #66 of 70 that I see if I go to the thread.)

• 12. Re: Communications tab - unread
                                jgarry

My guess is these things are or were P1 errors, and the cures turn out to be worse than the disease.

Now I suppose everyone is giving up and burying their heads in some newfangled "new features" guide.

• 13. Re: Communications tab - unread
                                  BrianPa

Perhaps the "bad caching was causing servers to crash and users to get logged out" was fixed by implementing a static cache that never updates.

• 14. Re: Communications tab - unread
                                    Nicolas.Gasparotto

50+ unread messages, which ones are the ones I really did not read yet ? Hmmm, slowness and crazy editor including, this forums are becoming unusable.

Nicolas.

PS: why this thread is "Assumed Answered" ? How can I turn it back to "not answered" status ?

1 2 Previous Next