0 Replies Latest reply: Jun 11, 2013 12:17 PM by lrp1 Branched from an earlier discussion. RSS

Re: x86 installation failure

lrp1

I've got the same issue / symptoms as the original poster:

Asus P5Q-EM DO (Intel Q45 chipset)
      Intel Core2Quad Q6600 CPU (Solaris
      Solaris 11 USB-Text install option. Created using solaris 11 inside a virtualbox VM using the 'usbcopy' command.
      Notably, DISABLED VT-d and TPM on the BIOS.

When installing, it goes to:
      1. "Welcome to GRUB!" <counts down from 5,4,3,2,1 during which I cannot edit any settings or see any boot menu>
      2. Goes to "SunOS Release 5.11 Version 11.1 64-bit, copyright (c) 1983,2013, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved."
      .. blank cursor, with no movement. Keyboard is frozen.

At no point can I press a key to edit the GRUB verbosity.. I wonder if my GRUB is not the right one? It wasn't the same as what I saw in my virtualbox .ISO image.

===================

2013-06-10 UPDATE: At the 5-second GRUB countdown, i was able to press the 'ESC' key and get to a GRUB menu. At that point, I pressed 'e' key to edit the first entry.

- at the multiboot $kern line, I added a "-kv" flag at the end.

- pressed F10 to boot with verbose messages.

- I ended up finding out that it stopped at the 'EHCI' point:

PCI Express-device: pci8086,3596@1a, ehci0

ehci0 is /pci@0,0/pci8086,3596@1a

PCI Express-device: pci8086,3596@1d, ehci1

Further searching showed this to be the USB 2.0 controller I had on my motherboard (judging from what other people have been posting). Since I need the USB controller for my USB Key and my keyboard/mouse--I've kind of hit a dead end with this hardware.  Since have tried moving on to OracleLinux 6.3 with ZFSOnLinux or BtrFS, and using LXC for containers instead of Solaris Zones (which was my original testing intent).

Message was edited by: lrp1