All right - we knew it would be bumpy, and it is.
We haven't had time to reply to all the comments in the welcome thread, so I wanted to start a new one here addressing the major issues. All of the following are being treated as P1 issues and are being worked on around the clock until they are resolved:
- Site stability and performance: we've turned off the "more like this" feature which was helpfully wasting a lot of cycles turning up ten year old threads. Stability improved immediately. We may turn that feature back on at a later time if we can configure it to only search back a year or two instead of the entire database.
- Watches: Watches have been enabled/disabled periodically over the last few days in debugging the performance problems. Now that we know they aren't the cause, they are re-enabled and should remain so. However, the email digest piece is still disabled for those users who have chosen that option. We're still investigating and intend to turn that on when everything else is stable.
- Untrack, Unfollow and Delete actions: This is related to a caching change where trying to delete anything on the forums, untrack or unfollow someone doesn't work. We have a P1 bug in with the service provider there and they are actively working with us on it.
- Users getting logged out/login problems: This is related to site stability. Some of our servers were going down, kicking off all users off who then were connected to a new server when they did another action. The new server didn't know that they were logged in and forced them to do so again. Now that the site is stable, this issue should no longer happen. We are actively monitoring this to confirm it stays stable.
Lower priority issues that we'll be tackling as soon as the rest of these are cleared up:
- points correction
- previous/next thread buttons
There are also some features that are visible, but not turned on yet while we try to stabilize. We expect to turn on the following over the next few months:
- avatar uploads
- opt-in direct messaging (users who mutually follow each other can DM each other)
I know there are more things in that welcome thread that I didn't address here, and we will get back to them all.