7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 3, 2013 12:01 PM by obiee_newbie RSS

OBIEE 10G : migration from dev to test server.

obiee_newbie

Hi Gurus,

Please help me on the below issue.

In our project  which uses teradata, the RPD have a set of tables which belong to schema TEST. For a particular requirment,we have to import tables from a different schema say DEV and use it for development since we dont have these tables in TEST.  now my question is, later the tables will be made available in TEST and in that case we have to make sure OBIEE fetches the table for TEST. so can i just drag and drop the tables from DEV schema to TEST. but this will not work for sure.. Please suggest what have to be done to resolve the issue...

Thanks in Advance.

• 1. Re: OBIEE 10G : migration from dev to test server.
          obiee_newbie

Hi all,

Please help me with this query...

• 2. Re: OBIEE 10G : migration from dev to test server.
            Dhar

Hi,

I could not get you completely, but I believe this is what you were looking for.

You are currently developing the .rpd in your development server, using DEV schema.

At a later point in time, you would push this .rpd to your test, where in, it has to pick tables from TEST schema.

If it so, in your physical layer of the .rpd, just change the physical schema to "TEST". It is the object which is just one level up to your tables in the physical layer.

Hope this helps.

Dhar

• 3. Re: OBIEE 10G : migration from dev to test server.
              obiee_newbie

Hi Dhar,

Thanks for the reply.. let me put my question in this way...

In same RPD i have both TEST and DEV schema folders as below.

TEST schema -> table1,table2

DEV schema -> table_m,table_n

development is done with the above mentioned structure in physcial layer.

Now i have to move the tables table_m & table_n to TEST schema without making any cahnges to BMM. i cannot simply drag and drop the tables from DEV to TEST. is there a way to accomplish what i am looking for?

Thanks,

Ram

• 4. Re: OBIEE 10G : migration from dev to test server.
                KN

Hello Ram,

If i understand correctly, in the RPD @ TEST environment, table_m and _n should be used instead 1 and 2. am i correct?

Are you using aliasing concept in physical layer? if yes, change the source of the alias in the physical layer to the new tables in TEST schema.

Regards,

KN

• 5. Re: OBIEE 10G : migration from dev to test server.
                  obiee_newbie

Hi KN,

Thanks for the reply...

just a small correction there.. the tables table_m and table_n are not alisases. just want to move them so that i have all the 4 tables in TEST..

i mean,

TEST Schema -> table1,table2,table_m and table_n

Thanks,

Ram

• 6. Re: OBIEE 10G : migration from dev to test server.
                    Dhar

Hi Ram,

I was just trying to understand the rationale behind moving these tables. As I understand, if you are trying to move these objects into test schema

1. You might want to make changes in the physical model as well, which might impact the business model ultimately.

2. You might not have the DEV schema itself in your test environment.

3. You might already have had some physical foreign keys across schemas.

etc

Anyway, I am just inclined to think, that moving tables might need at least some minimal modifications in BMM. But, how about a smart view of doing it; Just rename the existing DEV schema to TEST and continue. Let me know, if you could try it.

Dhar

• 7. Re: OBIEE 10G : migration from dev to test server.
                      obiee_newbie

Thanks for the reply Dhar..

The issue with renaming is I have both Test and Dev schema folders in rpd. Half the tables in dev and half the tables in test... So I can cut and paste the tables from one schema to other but as u mentioned I may have to do some changes in physical and bmm layer since I have alias tables and foreign key defined across schemas...