This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 19, 2013 1:51 AM by T101_cyberdyne RSS

Is there a report feature like report builder rdf for APEX?

T101_cyberdyne Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

as we all know, besides forms builder to create fmx, we also have report builder where we can create customized reports with proper headers,body,footer, icon, logo and etc.

can that sort of thing be done or available for apex?

i'm aware that all of reporting structures can be done using 'reports' in apex but however it will only come out as the table of data. For example it will not be appropriate to create receipts,invoices and etc.

what is the approach for this in apex?

i would not like to use the previous report .rdf anymore as it requires more installation and more license would be involve.

Can anyone give some opinions or even a solution?

• 1. Re: Is there a report feature like report builder rdf for APEX?
    fac586 Guru

T101_cyberdyne wrote:

Hi all,

as we all know, besides forms builder to create fmx, we also have report builder where we can create customized reports with proper headers,body,footer, icon, logo and etc.

can that sort of thing be done or available for apex?

Oracle's Statement Of Direction for Oracle Reports states that BI Publisher is now Oracle's strategic reporting tool. BI Publisher can be integrated with APEX and thus is Oracle's recommended solution for creating high fidelity reports in APEX. However BI Publisher licenses are considered to be very expensive for those not having an existing license (e.g. through EBS). Therefore other report solutions such as Jasper are used in conjunction with APEX.

i'm aware that all of reporting structures can be done using 'reports' in apex but however it will only come out as the table of data. For example it will not be appropriate to create receipts,invoices and etc.

APEX reports are not in any way restricted to table-based output. Using custom report templates, reports can generate any HTML structure required. A page can combine multiple report regions to produce layouts like invoices etc. CSS media style sheets can be used to provide some control over printed output without the expense or complexity of integrating a separate reporting solution.

• 2. Re: Is there a report feature like report builder rdf for APEX?
    T101_cyberdyne Newbie

Thanks for your reply fac586.

APEX reports are not in any way restricted to table-based output. Using custom report templates, reports can generate any HTML structure required. A page can combine multiple report regions to produce layouts like invoices etc. CSS media style sheets can be used to provide some control over printed output without the expense or complexity of integrating a separate reporting solution.

Yes, you are correct and i am aware of that.i could use css and html to paint a page and not using a template. however to assign this type of task, the person must know html and css and it is much more cumbersome as you have to write codes instead of a wizard style. I'm looking for a more straightforward way even though this solution is possible.

I will also need the possibility to save it to pdf in some cases.

Perhaps i will have a look at jasper.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points