5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2013 7:56 AM by Bmalin-Oracle RSS

Budgeted Labour Cost in Assignments - Average Only?

matt12

We have different labour rates in different financial years and we need to extract accurate time-phased costs from P6 (Release 7 SP4).

The labour rates per financial year have been setup against the resource for the applicable time period.

When we view the budgeted labour costs of each activity in the Assignments screen, the total cost of the activity resource assignment is correct, however the time-phased data per week/month/quarter etc is only the average!

eg FY1213 $500/hr for 100hrs = $50,000 & FY1314 $1000/hr for 100hrs = $100,000

Total cost for the activity resource assignment = $150,000 = which is correct

However when you look at the spread of budgeted labour cost per week/month/qtr ... it is just an average of $750/hr

Hence FY1213 is too high and FY1314 is too low

• 1. Re: Budgeted Labour Cost in Assignments - Average Only?
          Bmalin-Oracle

Hi Matt, I simulated on my side and was able to see the total budgeted cost across the timescale. When I added the budgeted cost to the assignment side, it was the total for each respective resource line. When I set the budgeted cost on the right side with a monthly timescale, it is not averaging. It is giving me the monthly budgeted cost. If there's any way you can post screen shot w/no PI data, that might help. I may not be simulating correctly.

Best,

Bob

• 2. Re: Budgeted Labour Cost in Assignments - Average Only?
            matt12

hi bmalin,

I'll try to grab a screenshot asap (not at the correct PC at the moment) but it is quite easy to replicate .. you can try this quickly ..

1. set a resource labour rate as say $50/hr for July 2013 .. then set the rate as $5000/hr for August 2013.

2. Create an activity spanning over those two months & assign the resource and add some units.

3. Then view the resource assignments 'budgeted cost' by day/week/month and do a quick calc on the rate.

Fingers crossed

• 3. Re: Budgeted Labour Cost in Assignments - Average Only?
              Bmalin-Oracle

Hi Matt,

I simulated the example and I see what you are saying. It can be misleading. I did see the one line average out the costs. As a workaround, I created two separate assignments for the one resources. So I created on that started June 26 to July 29 and one that started Aug 1 - 30. I did this by adding the start/finish columns in the resource tab of the activity details and then went back to the assignment window and it looks like it's breaking it out accurately based on the start/finish dates of the assignment. I was going to attach a screenshot, but for some reason can't seem to do it on this new forum and dont have time to upload it to a 3rd party site. I agree not the most ideal solution, but it does work. When you do it, the resource rate in the rersource tab of the activity will show a little asterisk, I assume to say it is changing. I just expected to see the new rate.

Best,

Bob

• 4. Re: Budgeted Labour Cost in Assignments - Average Only?
                matt12

Hi Bob,

Ok thanks .. that is a good idea and I did some tests and it does work correctly.

However it will be tricky to change all my resource assignments because this schedule has a few thousand activities.

One of my colleagues suggesting to use the 'store period data' function, so I will do some reading to see if this might be a simpler option.

Cheers,

Matt

• 5. Re: Budgeted Labour Cost in Assignments - Average Only?
                  Bmalin-Oracle

I hear you and agree with your colleague. We use Stored Period Performance here, but I did not do it for the simulation. Good Luck!