1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 25, 2013 5:54 PM by Henk Vandenbergh-Oracle

VDBench Config Generator / Validator.

bpdavis

I had a quick question regarding vdbench. I'm about to embark on creating a very basic config generator/validator for vdbench and I was wondering if there was any existing facility already in place.

The two things I've been looking at creating is, first, a way to validate config files, and second being able to generate configs on the fly such that you can give a list of devices/filesystems and types of workloads you'd like to use and have a valid config come out the other end.

The biggest challenge for us is to be able to support the wide variety of options and incantations of a vdbench config. Any ideas or pointers would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: VDBench Config Generator / Validator.
          Henk Vandenbergh-Oracle

- You can run Vdbench with the '-s' (simulate) option. It will do all the parsing, and a couple of quick checks, but it will not open any devices.

- I usually do a quick override of the elapsed time by running with '-e5 -i1', just running each Run Definition for five seconds.

- To 'quickly' select a number of available devices run './vdbench sds' (Solaris and Linux). This shows you the devices that are available and you decide which ones to use. I have had several requests to allow for wildcarding in the lun= parameter, but I have and always will refuse to do this. Too dangerous.

"The biggest challenge for me is to be able to support the wide variety of options and incantations of Vdbench"

Henk.