2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2013 6:55 AM by SanchitJavaDev

Comparing dynamic fields of objects using equals and hashCode methods

SanchitJavaDev

To compare the different objects of the same class with their contents like jobTitleId, classificationId, deptId & classificationId was to be done and do some manipulations later using Set and Map. I was able to do that by simply overriding the equals and hashCode methods of Object class and was able to fetch the information (like in the following Map).

Map<LocationData, List<LocationData>>

The following is the class I used (its been shown to you so that it can be referred for my problem statement):

LocationData class

package com.astreait.bulkloader;

public class LocationData {    

String locId, deptId, jobTitleId, classificationId;

@Override  

public boolean equals(Object obj) {        

LocationData ld = (LocationData)obj;       

return this.deptId.equals(ld.deptId) && this.jobTitleId.equals(ld.jobTitleId) && this.classificationId.equals(ld.classificationId) &&

this.locId.equals(ld.locId);   

}

@Override  

public int hashCode() {        

return deptId.hashCode() + jobTitleId.hashCode() + classificationId.hashCode() +locId.hashCode();  

}

}

Problem:

I'm already known to which all fields of this object I need to make the comparison.

i.e I'm bound to use the variables named classificationId, deptId, jobTitleId & locId etc.

Need:

I need to customize this logic such that the fields Names (classificationId, deptId, jobTitleId & locId etc) can be pulled dynamically along with their values. So, as far as my understanding I made use of 2 classes (TableClass and ColWithData) such that the List of ColWithData is there in TableClass object.

I'm thinking what if I override the same two methods `equals() & hashCode();`

such that the same can be achieved.

TableClass class #1

class TableClass{

List<ColWithData> cwdList;

@Override

public boolean equals(Object obj) {

boolean returnVal = false;

// I need to have the logic to be defined such that

// all of the dynamic fields can be compared

return returnVal;

}

@Override

public int hashCode() {

int returnVal = 0;

// I need to have the logic to be defined such that

// all of the dynamic fields can be found for their individual hashCodes

return returnVal;

}

}

ColWithData class #2

class ColWithData{

String col; // here the jobTitleId, classificationId, deptId, locId or any other more fields info can come.

String data; // The corresponding data or value for each jobTitleId, classificationId, deptId, locId or any other more fields.

}

Please let me know if I'm proceeding in the right direction or I should make some any other approach. If it is ok to use the current approach then what should be performed in the equals and hashCode methods?

Finally I need to make the map as: (Its not the concern how I will make, but can be considered as my desired result from this logic)

Map<TableClass, List<TableClass>> finalMap;