This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 3, 2013 6:08 AM by Penky RSS

Can an Input Parameter be used as Target Value in Chart ?

Penky Journeyer
Currently Being Moderated

Hi All,

It seems like a target value can only be entered as a fixed value, and not be pulled from an input parameter. It seems like input parameters can only be used for filters. Is this true?

• 1. Re: Can an Input Parameter be used as Target Value in Chart ?
    LFHeckler Explorer

Hi Penky,

As far as I know you are right: the values in a chart always must come from dataObject columns or from calculated fields using dataObject columns or internal functions.

You can use parameters only for filtering.

What is your scenario that need to show a parameter as a value in the chart, without a corresponding filter?

Regards,

Luis Fernando Heckler

• 2. Re: Can an Input Parameter be used as Target Value in Chart ?
    Penky Journeyer

Dear Luis Fernando,

than you for your answer.

I don't need to show the parameter as a value in the chart, but as a "Target". Example: We have a bar chart showing a value of 30 calls per week. The target line shows 45 calls per week. Currently, the value of "45" is entered during report creation and can not be taken from a input parameter.

Maybe next week the target is different? then someone has to change the report, which is not very good.

• 3. Re: Can an Input Parameter be used as Target Value in Chart ?
    LFHeckler Explorer

Uhm, ok, I got it.

In fact, the target must be a constant value and as you said, there isn't a easy way to change it.

One tricky idea would be use a combo chart (bar and line).

Create a new dataObject called "target", add a column called "target" for target value and other column called "group" for the value used in your bar chart to grouping the series, and values with the same target for every possible group.

Then, change your view to combo chart, configuring the same bar chart and add the new dataObject "target", configuring as line chart, using the same grouping.

You can also expand this idea and include a date column if you can search for some historical data, so you can see in the graph the "evolution" of your target against the data.

Just one idea...

• 4. Re: Can an Input Parameter be used as Target Value in Chart ?
    Penky Journeyer

Dear Luis Fernando,

that sounds brilliant. We never tried combo charts for that. Might the an excellent way to solve this.

Thanks for the "hint" !

• 5. Re: Can an Input Parameter be used as Target Value in Chart ?
    LFHeckler Explorer

You're welcome! I'm happy for help.

Would you be so kind and mark my answer as right or helpful in case this idea suits your needs?

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points