7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2013 7:29 AM by user9085814

BUFFER memory allocation for exp/imp

user9085814

Hi All,

To improve performance of conventional export (exp) and import (imp) , is it better to use BUFFER parameter always ?

If yes , then the from which area the BUFFER is accessing memory in original exp/imp .

Thanks

• 1. Re: BUFFER memory allocation for exp/imp
          sb92075

user9085814 wrote:

Hi All,

To improve performance of conventional export (exp) and import (imp) , is it better to use BUFFER parameter always ?

If yes , then the from which area the BUFFER is accessing memory in original exp/imp .

Thanks

it is better to use expdp & impdp to replace obsoleted exp & imp utilities.

• 2. Re: BUFFER memory allocation for exp/imp
            user9085814

Thanks For reply ..

But I just want to know , BUFEER memory allocation to exp operation is done where ?

Thanks

• 3. Re: BUFFER memory allocation for exp/imp
              Mark D Powell

With exp and imp utilities the buffer= parameter allocates buffer space from the OS.  These are command line utilities and the buffer is used to hold export file (dump file) blocks.  With conventional export and import I have found this to be a very beneficial parameter.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --

• 4. Re: BUFFER memory allocation for exp/imp
                sb92075

user9085814 wrote:

Thanks For reply ..

But I just want to know , BUFEER memory allocation to exp operation is done where ?

Thanks

BUFFER allocation comes from RAM

Original Import

• 5. Re: BUFFER memory allocation for exp/imp

Outside the SGA. Basically it functions the same way as arraysize in sql*plus: it determines how many records are fetched in one go.

-----------

Sybrand Bakker

Senior Oracle DBA

• 6. Re: BUFFER memory allocation for exp/imp
                    jgarry

I've found  DIRECT=Y compress=N recordlength=65535 faster for my situation.  See also Screaming Imports keeping in mind there may be some outdated information on the intertubes.

• 7. Re: BUFFER memory allocation for exp/imp
                      user9085814

Thanks for the reply ...

Further to your reply , I have noted down what i have understood on Export using (BUFFER,RECORDLENGTH )

Please help me if i am wrong anywhere .

BUFFER size is allocated in the RAM (client side ) of client side (from where the utility is running ) .

In conventional export if you have a tuned BUFFER size , then it improves the performance as because it will reduce the sqlnet round trip to the Database Server .

As RECORDLENGTH specifies i/o for export operation , so we should  use this parameter to improve the writing of data from the buffer to the export file .

But If we put DIRECT=Y then  BUFFER parameter won't be respected .Because " The BUFFER parameter applies only to conventional path Export. It has no effect on a direct path Export. For direct path Exports, use the RECORDLENGTH parameter to specify the size of the buffer that Export uses for writing to the export file.

In DIRECT=Y , the export will be faster , is it only because of that it bypass the db_buffer and the requested data will directly come to the export session's program global area (PGA).

What i am trying to ask is .....

In DIRECT=Y .... there is no BUFFER memory associated with it , does it not increase the round trip of sqlnet .

Thanks