5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2013 4:51 PM by InoL

Oracle reports 6i to Oracle forms 10g migration

geekforu

Hi,

I have .rdf files which were created on Oracle Reports 6i. I would like to migrate the .rdf files into Oracle Reports module which is present as a part of Oracle Forms 10g to generate PDF output.

Please let me know the detailed steps to be followed as I am a total newbie. Also I need to generate these reports on demand from a java 5 application (JSF 2.0).

Currently for ORacle reports 6i, I have the following code in my java application

rwrun60.exe g:\tomcat33\webapps\reports\web-inf\src\null userid=***/*** destype=FILE desformat="pdf" paramform=NO printjob=NO batch=YES desname=temp.pdf

1. What would be the equivalent for reports in ORacle Forms 10g ? I know there is an Oracle Apps server where ther report services reside. How to I invoke my report from my java application (residing on a weblogic server 10.3.6)?

2. What ould I do with the 6i .rdf files to upgrade them to 10g ?

• 1. Re: Oracle reports 6i to Oracle forms 10g migration
          InoL

There are tons of documents on the Oracle website (and others) about upgrading from 6i to 10g. Did you look at those?

Please ask a specific question if you experience a problem with the upgrade.

Furthermore, you are not very clear:

What would be the equivalent for reports in ORacle Forms 10g ? ... How to I invoke my report from my java application ...

Are you using Forms or a Java application?

2. What ould I do with the 6i .rdf files to upgrade them to 10g ?

That is simple: just recompile.

• 2. Re: Oracle reports 6i to Oracle forms 10g migration
            geekforu

I am trying to call an Oracle report i.e .rdf (which is located on the Oracle  App Server) from my java EE 5 (JSF) application. The Oracle  App server is Oracle Application Server 10g Release 2. I assume Oracle report generation capability is available in this release.  I need to invoke the report from my Java JSF application on demand (whenever the user clicks a button on the web browser page, the report should appear on the browser as PDF) . My java application resides on Linux weblogic server.

Please let me know how it can be done ? I see rwclient.sh and another method to directly invoke using a URL. How do I do it on java, would a request.redirect() to the URL work ?

Also for hiding the params in the URL. keys need to be configured on the Oracle server right ?

Also if we use rwclient.sh or the URL based invocation, would there be any issue in concurrency when multiple users request the same report at the same time ?

• 3. Re: Oracle reports 6i to Oracle forms 10g migration
              InoL

If you need help with Java, you'd better ask this in a Java forum. I have very little Java knowledge.

Basically, you just have to point to the report URL. So, your button on the web page just points to the report URL.

In ADF you can use a bean, like this example:

Sameh Nassar: Call Oracle Reports From Your ADF Application

> Also for hiding the params in the URL. keys need to be configured on the Oracle server right ?

That is one option. If you call the report from a server process (instead of directly via a URL in the browser) you have more options to pass parameters without the user seeing them or being able to change them.

• 4. Re: Oracle reports 6i to Oracle forms 10g migration
                geekforu

Thanks for the reply. Any comments on the concurrency ?

• 5. Re: Oracle reports 6i to Oracle forms 10g migration
                  InoL

Just as in your original post, this is a problem:

desname=temp.pdf

Make sure the file name is unique.