This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 3, 2013 8:23 PM by DBATurn RSS

Configure OEL 6.4 from Server mode to Desktop Mode

DBATurn Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I have installed the OEL 6.4 in server mode, and now sucessfully using it. I have installed the Oracle databases on it for testing purpose.

Can you please guide me, if i can configure it in Desktop mode. I do not want to re-install it.

As per my understanding, i need to install some GUI packages for this, but not sure..what is the exact method.

Can you please guide me to configure it from Server mode to Desktop mode(GUI).

Regards,

-DBATurn

• 1. Re: Configure OEL 6.4 from Server mode to Desktop Mode
    Dude! Guru

You mean how to install the Gnome graphical desktop environment?

Copying the following to the Terminal prompt or console as root should do, and give you a similar desktop like in the previous OL release version:

yum groupinstall "X Window System" Desktop "General Purpose Desktop" \

"Graphical Administration Tools" "Legacy X Window System compatibility" \

system-config-lvm

To test it, type:

init 5

Or to make the change permanent, modify /etc/inittab.

sed -i 's|id:3:initdefault:|id:5:initdefault:|g' /etc/inittab

shutdown -r now

• 2. Re: Configure OEL 6.4 from Server mode to Desktop Mode
    Loek Newbie

Don't know if it helped the OP, but it sure helped me.  I thought I'd try a barebones server install and have been struggling without the GUI not knowing where to find all little tweaks (configs) without the GUI tools.  Judging by the responses I get to this I guess I'm a whimp but I'm a DBA, not a sysadmin even though I'm often forced to perform that role (and several others).

• 3. Re: Configure OEL 6.4 from Server mode to Desktop Mode
    Dude! Guru

Thanks for the feedback. The sad truth is that the desktop GUI is not extremely useful for the Linux pro, but still helpful for anyone who is not familiar or not using Linux on a frequent basis. For the Linux pro it is easy to remove or disable the graphical desktop environment and use other methods, such as SSH with X forwarding or VNC when needed. I think the decision of Red Hat to remove the desktop GUI from the default installation was not the best. Lack of fancy video graphic support should not apply to server hardware, for which RHEL and OL are designed for.

• 4. Re: Configure OEL 6.4 from Server mode to Desktop Mode
    DBATurn Newbie

Thank you!!

It helped.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points