This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 7, 2013 11:31 AM by EdStevens RSS

installed Oracle Developer Day.ova but how to connect using putty

Kunwar Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi friends,

i have installed oracle db using Oracle Developer Day.ova for practicing on my lappie.

I want to connect to that DB which is inside oracle vm virtual box manager using PUTTY ( which is on my desktop). I dont want to use the in-built workspace or Terminal(whatever is its name).

Can you guys please suggest what should i do so that i can login to the DB using the PUTTY only (i love it )? i am not able to login to the host "localhost" using the putty.

Few years back when i had installed vmware(linux installed in it and db installed on linux) i could connect through putty.

I am using below entry in the hosts file.

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
    127.0.0.1       localhost
#    ::1             localhost
  • 1. Re: installed Oracle Developer Day.ova but how to connect using putty
    DK2010 Guru

Hi,

You can use ip address to connect.

ifconfig -a

• 2. Re: installed Oracle Developer Day.ova but how to connect using putty
    EdStevens Guru

Kunwar wrote:

Hi friends,

i have installed oracle db using Oracle Developer Day.ova for practicing on my lappie.

I want to connect to that DB which is inside oracle vm virtual box manager using PUTTY ( which is on my desktop). I dont want to use the in-built workspace or Terminal(whatever is its name).

Can you guys please suggest what should i do so that i can login to the DB using the PUTTY only (i love it )? i am not able to login to the host "localhost" using the putty.

Few years back when i had installed vmware(linux installed in it and db installed on linux) i could connect through putty.

I am using below entry in the hosts file.

1. # localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself. 
    2.     127.0.0.1       localhost 
    3. #    ::1             localhost 

'localhost' and its ip address of 127.0.0.1 are non-routeable.  Any request to send a network message to localhost will never leave the machine from which the request originates.  And for all intents and purposes, your virtual machine is a different machine.

See my solution at

http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2012/12/15/configure-the-virtualbox-network-2/

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points