6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 25, 2013 12:31 AM by 1012388 RSS

How to upgrade Forms 11gR2 to use JAVA 7 after it was installed with JAVA 6

I recently installed Forms 11gR2 on a development server.  We are trying to have the latest versions of everything to migrate from Forms 10g and assure we have support for the next few years.

Our platform has the following software configuration:

• Solaris 10 (Update 19) SPARC 64 bits
      • Weblogic 11g (10.3.6) that was installed with Java JDK 1.6.0_38
      • Forms 11g R2 (11.1.2.1) that was also installed with

Java JDK 1.6.0_38

I tried to install Weblogic and Forms using the latest Java 7 JDK (1.7.0_25) but I got an error in the final steps of Forms setup, when I was configuring the domain.  I searched online and found a couple of tips but nothing worked.  The installation was stuck at the

Creating Weblogic Domain step.  So I decided to try the installation process with the Java 6 JDK that we are using right now for Forms 10g, and it worked perfectly.  I have now two options but I don't know which one might be the better path:

1. Uninstall Weblogic and Forms 11g completely, and try to re-install them again with Java 7, trying to fix the error that I got at the end of the configuration process.
      2. Try to upgrade the current Forms 11g installation from Java 6 to Java 7.  I found a blog that might suggest it is possible, but I don't know if it may cause additional issues along the road. http://pitss.com/us/2013/02/20/how-to-use-java-7-with-oracle-forms-11g-in-an-oracle-supported-environment/

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have, or if any of you has experience installing Forms 11gR2 with Java 7 it might be great to know how to fix this error.  It might be worth mentioning that when I installed Forms and Weblogic with Java 6 I used exactly the same values, ports, options and paths.  The error appears like this in the installation logs and the process hangs there:

XXX: adding task: oracle.as.install.classic.ca.standard.DomainProvisioningTask

AdminServer port is 7001

trying to connect to admuxas09.adminsrvad.sa.gov.au 7001

Creating Weblogic Domain.

oracle.as.provisioning.exception.ASProvWorkflowException

at oracle.as.provisioning.weblogic.ASDomain._createDomain(ASDomain.java:2958)

at oracle.as.provisioning.weblogic.ASDomain.createDomain(ASDomain.java:2476)

at oracle.as.provisioning.engine.WorkFlowExecutor._createDomain(WorkFlowExecutor.java:633)

at oracle.as.provisioning.engine.WorkFlowExecutor.executeWLSWorkFlow(WorkFlowExecutor.java:391)

at oracle.as.provisioning.engine.Config.executeConfigWorkflow_WLS(Config.java:866)

at oracle.as.install.classic.ca.standard.StandardWorkFlowExecutor.execute(StandardWorkFlowExecutor.java:65)

at oracle.as.install.classic.ca.standard.AbstractProvisioningTask.execute(AbstractProvisioningTask.java:26)

at oracle.as.install.classic.ca.standard.StandardProvisionTaskList.execute(StandardProvisionTaskList.java:61)

at oracle.as.install.classic.ca.ClassicConfigMain.doExecute(ClassicConfigMain.java:124)

at oracle.as.install.engine.modules.configuration.client.ConfigAction.execute(ConfigAction.java:371)

at oracle.as.install.engine.modules.configuration.action.TaskPerformer.run(TaskPerformer.java:88)

at oracle.as.install.engine.modules.configuration.action.TaskPerformer.startConfigAction(TaskPerformer.java:105)

at oracle.as.install.engine.modules.configuration.action.ActionRequest.perform(ActionRequest.java:15)

at oracle.as.install.engine.modules.configuration.action.RequestQueue.perform(RequestQueue.java:64)

at oracle.as.install.engine.modules.configuration.standard.StandardConfigActionManager.start(StandardConfigActionManager.java:160)

at oracle.as.install.engine.modules.configuration.boot.ConfigurationExtension.kickstart(ConfigurationExtension.java:81)

at oracle.as.install.engine.modules.configuration.ConfigurationModule.run(ConfigurationModule.java:86)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

oracle.as.provisioning.exception.ASProvisioningException

at oracle.as.provisioning.engine.Config.executeConfigWorkflow_WLS(Config.java:872)

at oracle.as.install.classic.ca.standard.StandardWorkFlowExecutor.execute(StandardWorkFlowExecutor.java:65)

at oracle.as.install.classic.ca.standard.AbstractProvisioningTask.execute(AbstractProvisioningTask.java:26)

at oracle.as.install.classic.ca.standard.StandardProvisionTaskList.execute(StandardProvisionTaskList.java:61)

at oracle.as.install.classic.ca.ClassicConfigMain.doExecute(ClassicConfigMain.java:124)

at oracle.as.install.engine.modules.configuration.client.ConfigAction.execute(ConfigAction.java:371)

at oracle.as.install.engine.modules.configuration.action.TaskPerformer.run(TaskPerformer.java:88)

at oracle.as.install.engine.modules.configuration.action.TaskPerformer.startConfigAction(TaskPerformer.java:105)

at oracle.as.install.engine.modules.configuration.action.ActionRequest.perform(ActionRequest.java:15)

at oracle.as.install.engine.modules.configuration.action.RequestQueue.perform(RequestQueue.java:64)

at oracle.as.install.engine.modules.configuration.standard.StandardConfigActionManager.start(StandardConfigActionManager.java:160)

at oracle.as.install.engine.modules.configuration.boot.ConfigurationExtension.kickstart(ConfigurationExtension.java:81)

at oracle.as.install.engine.modules.configuration.ConfigurationModule.run(ConfigurationModule.java:86)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

Caused by: oracle.as.provisioning.exception.ASProvWorkflowException: Error Executing workflow.

at oracle.as.provisioning.engine.WorkFlowExecutor._createDomain(WorkFlowExecutor.java:686)

at oracle.as.provisioning.engine.WorkFlowExecutor.executeWLSWorkFlow(WorkFlowExecutor.java:391)

at oracle.as.provisioning.engine.Config.executeConfigWorkflow_WLS(Config.java:866)

... 13 more

Cheers,

Ivan Neva

Oracle DBA

• 1. Re: How to upgrade Forms 11gR2 to use JAVA 7 after it was installed with JAVA 6
          lake

Well if I got it to work with java 6 I'd leave it alone, to say the least. The elephant in the room is the certification matrix.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/forms/overview/index.html

there's 2 issues, what jdk does forms on the server want? Bigger question, what JRE is acceptable on the client?

You would surely want the jre to be 7 on the client. Regarding the jdk on the server, you could leave it as is IMHO.

Note that there was a patch to 11gr2. In conclusion, be sure to check the cert matrix regarding what is certified for the jdk for the server.

I think the matrices are saying that if you have forms 11.1.2.1.0 that you can use the jdk 7. but like I said the big issue is what can the client use?

As I read the matrix I think it is saying you have to have 11.1.2.1.0 to use the jre 7 on the client.

So I would say if you have 11.1.2.1.0 on the server you are good because it's not a problem to have the jdk 6 on the server, if not you have to apply the patch in order to enable the jre 7 on the client.

• 2. Re: How to upgrade Forms 11gR2 to use JAVA 7 after it was installed with JAVA 6

Thanks for your reply Lake, from what I read the Certification Matrix says that it would be ok to install it with JDK 1.7.0_07+.  The big question would be if Forms would work fine having JDK 1.6 on the server, and JRE 1.7 on the clients.  We already conducted some testing and it seems we have many issues with our clients running Java JRE 6 on Windows 7, so for us it is a mandatory requirement to have the Java JRE 7 on the clients.

I'm trying to install Weblogic and Forms 11g on a new virtual environment using VirtualBox, to see if perhaps the error I got in the past was caused by a setting on the OS.

My biggest question right now would be:  is it possible to install Forms with one Java version and then change it to a newer release without having to reinstall the software?

• 3. Re: How to upgrade Forms 11gR2 to use JAVA 7 after it was installed with JAVA 6
              lake

You keep referring to forms server as 11gr2 but you have to know the exact version. Is it patched or isn't it?  If it isn't patched,

nothing is going to run with jre 7. I doubt the jdk on the server is going to affect the behavior of the jre on the client. (I could

be wrong.) I think the biggest issue is the patching and then as always, formsweb.cfg which is tricky to get right relative to what version of jre in what browser you want to work.

• 4. Re: How to upgrade Forms 11gR2 to use JAVA 7 after it was installed with JAVA 6

The Forms versions is exactly Forms 11g R2 (11.1.2.1.0).  That is the latest one available from the oracle official downloads page. Weblogic version is (10.3.6).  According to this I think I don't need to apply any more patches to the system (the 11.1.2.1.0 installer patches itself at the end of the setup process).  I'm going to try now to change the JVM of the Weblogic server to Java 7 and see how it works.

• 5. Re: How to upgrade Forms 11gR2 to use JAVA 7 after it was installed with JAVA 6
                  user12173797

I think u are correct however by my personal experience using jdk 7, there is a bug when u want to control the ohs node using the enterprise manager (EM) in fact when u try to perform administrative tasks over the ohs (oracle http server) it fails with java errors, and u will have to manage it by command line. Dont k now if anyone else had the same issue. i am using OL 5,9 + jdk 7 last version + weblogic 10.3.6 and forms 11.1.2.1.0. i am not sure if oracle already patched this or not.

This problem by what i read didnt hapen using jdk 6, but once again sooner or later u are going to update to jdk7.

• 6. Re: How to upgrade Forms 11gR2 to use JAVA 7 after it was installed with JAVA 6

I finally managed to update the JDK of Forms to JDK7 and so far it is working fine.  We are trying to solve other issues with the Forms configuration, but the Java installation seemed to be successful now.  The problem with the installation of Forms 11g with JAVA 7 was caused by an encryption library that need to be removed from the JDK before attempting to configure Forms for the first time.  It wasn't easy to find this problem, so anybody who comes across the same error should take a look at the following: "The configuration fails to start WLS_Portal with error"Unknown keyword 'useEcX963Encoding'" (Note 1450179.1)" on My Oracle Support.