This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 11, 2013 2:31 AM by WadhahDAOUEHI RSS

How to add Multiple VLANs segments to bond0 interface

user566275 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

I have successfully installed and configured Oracle VM and Manager.  Everything is working fine.  But there is a slight change after i have installed the systems, I have  installed the

system with no VLAN tagged and my switch was configured with access VLAN, everything was fine. So my guest VLAN and the management VLAN were same e.g 401.  Now

some database VM's are going to be hosted on OVM server but their VLAN ID is e.g 501.  So how i should configure this new VLAN and considering switch side the configuration is trunk mode.  Please help.

I have followed the below step but no luck.

To reconfigure the management network from physical to untagged VLAN:

1. In the Oracle VM Manager user interface, select the Networking tab.
  2. Select the management network and click Edit Selected Network to start the Edit Network wizard.
  3. Remove the management interfaces of the Oracle VM Servers from the management network.
  4. Click VLAN Groups to display the VLAN Groups screen. In the VLAN Groups toolbar, click Create New VLAN Group to start the VLAN Group Creation wizard.

5. In the new VLAN group, add the network ports you removed from the management network earlier. Create the untagged VLAN segment you need for the management network. Include any additional VLAN segments for other networks for which you want to use a VLAN over the same network interface. Click Next.

6. With the untagged VLAN the IP addresses must be assigned to the underlying network ports. The management IP address cannot be changed, so you may skip this wizard step and Click Finish.

7. Return to the Networking screen and edit the management network again. Select the VLAN segment you wish to associate with the management network, which is the untagged VLAN segment.

The restriction for the untagged VLAN still applies: the IP address must be on the underlying port, so it cannot be assigned to the VLAN interface. The physical network interface is now available to add other tagged VLAN interfaces to include in other networks.

I see VLANs added on MGMT network in OVM manager console. However, they are not created on OVM server ie. I see only bond0 here.

Please help am using OVM 3.1.1.

Regards,

/Pradyumna

• 1. Re: How to add Multiple VLANs segments to bond0 interface
    WadhahDAOUEHI Journeyer

Hi,

Oracle VM Server support's the VLAN network and the VLAN management should be configured during the Oracle VM Server installation (with VLAN ID e.g 401) that's why you can add many segments to the bond0 interface after the installation is completed.

it's recomanded to not change the management network after the installation is complete.

For more information, look at this URL,

I hope this can help you

Best Regards

• 2. Re: How to add Multiple VLANs segments to bond0 interface
    user566275 Newbie

Hi,

Thanks for the reply but how do i add multiple VLANs on the same management port? Is it possible?  E.g i need to add VLAN 401 and VLAN 402 on the same management bonded interface, then how to do it ?

During installation i can specify only 1 VLAN i guess.

Regards,

/Pradyumna

• 3. Re: How to add Multiple VLANs segments to bond0 interface
    WadhahDAOUEHI Journeyer

Hi,

Yes during the installation of Oracle VM Server you can specify just only 1 VLAN ID and after the installation complete when you discover your server you found a VLAN group e.g. "Network-Address-vng". so you can edit this group and add many segment with the ID that you want.

after you finish the creation of segments go to network and then you can affect your network channels (e.g. Virtual Machines, storage Network, HeartBeat, ...) with any VLAN segment.

I hope this can help you

Best Regards

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points