This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Jul 18, 2013 2:52 PM by jgarry Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Oracle Database 12c Question
    Dizwell Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated

"Not sure what you mean by 'an 11.2 pluggable database'"

...I simply meant "a different version of the database compared to the software you installed". That is, imagine we have 12c Release 2: will it be possible to plug in as 12c Release 1 database? (I used 11g R2, simply because it's different to 12c, but I realise it was a poor example, given that it comes from an aeon before pluggable databases were thought of!).

Since the root container will be running out of a 12c R2 home, I can't see how you can have a 12c R1 database plugged in. (Though a 12c R2 database with compatibility set to 12.0.1.0 might do it, as mentioned).

"so what do you tell an OP that asks about it?"

Only that we are guessing in the absence of other information, that everything is new and we are learning like mad ...and that we live in interesting times, I guess!

• 16. Re: Oracle Database 12c Question
    1010168 Newbie

I have tried it and it works!  I started by installing Standard Edition 12cin a different home from the Enterprise Edition and checked the box to create a pluggable database as well which it did.  then i created a pluggable database in the Enterprise Edition container database using:

create pluggable database plugSE as clone using '/home/oracle/plugSE.xml' NOCOPY

after using:

exec dbms_pdb.describe(pdb_descr_file=>'/home/oracle/plugSE.xml');

to build an xml file.

here is the complete set of steps...

$ sqlplus / as sysdba

SQL*Plus: Release 12.1.0.1.0 Production on Tue Jul 16 13:48:33 2013

Copyright (c) 1982, 2013, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Connected to:

Oracle Database 12c Release 12.1.0.1.0 - 64bit Production

SQL> alter pluggable database plugSE open;

Pluggable database altered.

SQL> alter session set container=plugSE;

Session altered.

SQL> shutdown immediate;

Pluggable Database closed.

SQL> alter database open read only;

Database altered.

SQL> exec dbms_pdb.describe(pdb_descr_file=>'/home/oracle/plugSE.xml');

PL/SQL procedure successfully completed.

SQL> shutdown immediate;

Pluggable Database closed.

SQL> exit

Disconnected from Oracle Database 12c Release 12.1.0.1.0 - 64bit Production

------------------------------------------------------------------------------disconnecting from SE container then change environment variables and connect to EE container

$ export ORACLE_SID=orcl

$ export ORACLE_HOME=/home/oracle/app/oracle/product/12.1.0/dbhome_1

$ sqlplus / as sysdba

SQL*Plus: Release 12.1.0.1.0 Production on Wed Jul 17 08:48:45 2013

Copyright (c) 1982, 2013, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Connected to:

Oracle Database 12c Enterprise Edition Release 12.1.0.1.0 - 64bit Production

With the Partitioning, OLAP, Advanced Analytics and Real Application Testing options

SQL>create pluggable database jiveSE as clone using '/home/oracle/jiveSE.xml' NOCOPY

Pluggable database created.

SQL> select name from v$database;

NAME

---------

ORCL

SQL> select PDB from v$services;

PDB

------------------------------

PLUGSE

PDBORCL

CDB$ROOT

CDB$ROOT

CDB$ROOT

CDB$ROOT

6 rows selected.

SQL> alter pluggable database plugSE open;

Pluggable database altered.

SQL> alter session set container=plugSE;

Session altered.

• 17. Re: Oracle Database 12c Question
    jgarry Guru

rp0428 wrote:

I agree with your assessment about the viability issues. Not sure what you mean by 'an 11.2 pluggable database'. As far as I know the process of migrating an 11.2 database to a PDB makes changes to the actual physical files to tag them as 12c. I haven't been able to identify the actual mechanism used, tag locations or content.

For me, and the forums, the bigger issue is that when Oracle introduces new functionality or architecture (e.g. the paradigm shift to multi-tenant) there isn't really any way for us 'outsiders' to know how they actually intend for that functionality to work.

We can certainly run tests that show how something DOES work in a particular use case but we have no way of knowing if it is actually SUPPOSED to work that way or if it is SUPPORTED to work that way.

It's such a complex product, I'm not so sure there is a tight synchronization between what is designed, what is sold to management, what is planned for, what is coded, what is documented, what makes it through testing, what makes it through beta, what salespeople are told to say, what support says, and what happens in the real world.  While there must be some precise documents about all these things somewhere, there must also be problems keeping such things up to date, and of course communication breakdowns.  So it makes some sense to throw things over the wall and see what people do with them.  It makes some sense to let the users do the beta testing in production - as silly as that sounds, there are inevitably going to be some things where support is withdrawn after it becomes too painfully obvious that it won't work as it is "supposed to."  There's an obvious public relations risk as techies say things like "Oracle has users do the beta testing in production," but that is really just the flip side of "it doesn't work as it's supposed to" if the docs are as precise as they should be  So there's a win with the ambiguity, plus a win with being able to blame users for "not testing it enough for their particular use case."  Who is autistic enough to remember those details anyways?  (Only joke answers for that last, please )

There's also a win with motivating a lot of very smart people to examine what is happening in detail.  I wonder how often word gets back to alpha developers and they go "how cool, I never thought of that."

The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not “Eureka” but “That's funny...” —Isaac Asimov

• 18. Re: Oracle Database 12c Question
    rp0428 Guru

>

I have tried it and it works!

>

And now the question is 'does the DB itself work' and what features does it work with.

Can you examine the init file and see if there were any changes made to it (e.g. the compatibility setting)?

Can you use an enterprise feature in that 'used to be standard' DB?

Can you plug back in the other direction (from enterprise to standard)? What happens if  you used an enterprise feature that standard doesn't have?

Not asking you to do these tests just saying those are some of the questions that will arise.

1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points