6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 18, 2013 2:51 PM by Ashley Chen-Oracle RSS

Unit Test component missing after upgrade to 3.2

Sven W.

I recently upgraded (just installed it over the previous version) the sqldeveloper from 3.1 to 3.2.20.09.

Since the new installation the unit test component is missing. After some searches I found that entry in the help/info/enhancements panel:

Oracle SQL Developer - Unit Test    oracle.sqldeveloper.unit_test    11.2.0.09.87    Deaktiviert durch Benutzer (=>deactivated by user !?)

It seems as if it was deactivated somehow. I certainly can't remember deactivating any components/enhancements, escpecially not the unit testing framework.

How can I enable it again?

• 1. Re: Unit Test component missing after upgrade to 3.2
          Jim Smith

You should never install a new version over an old version. It always causes problems. The upgrade path as documented in the release notes is ALWAYS to install in a new directory.

• 2. Re: Unit Test component missing after upgrade to 3.2
            Sven W.

I agree that this might have been the better way, unfortunatly it doesn't answer how to enable such a disabled component.

Regardless how this situation came together, there should be a way to enable/reinstall deactivated components. Shouldn't it?

• 3. Re: Unit Test component missing after upgrade to 3.2
              Jim Smith

It is not a better way, it is the correct way.

You have a corrupted installation and that is probably the reason for the disable component.

Start again from scratch.

• 4. Re: Unit Test component missing after upgrade to 3.2
                Ashley Chen-Oracle

Hi,

Unit Testing is an extension of SQL Developer. A new install will always have it enabled. At anytime you can disable this extension by going to Tools/Preferences/Extensions. Here you will see a list of extensions that you can disable. When you uncheck it, the extension will be disabled once you log out of SQL Developer. To enable, you just go back to this list and check what you want and then restart.

In this situation, Jim is correct in saying you have a corrupt installation. A fresh install will fix it.

Ashley

SQL Developer Team

• 5. Re: Unit Test component missing after upgrade to 3.2
                  Sven W.

JimSmith wrote:

You should never install a new version over an old version. It always causes problems. The upgrade path as documented in the release notes is ALWAYS to install in a new directory.

Hm... I just double checked the installation guide (http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E35137_01/doc.32/e35119/install.htm#CIHFGGJB) and I can't see a comment that you HAVE TO use a new directory. And even more that reusing the same directory would result in a corrupt installation.

The only thing that it tells me is that IF I want to migrate user settings from a previous release, I need to install it in an empty folder.

To migrate user settings from a previous SQL Developer release:

1.   Unzip the kit for the current release into an empty directory (folder). Do not delete or overwrite the directory into which you unzipped the kit for the previous SQL Developer release.

If I don't want to migrate user settings, then I could install it into the same directory.

Did I overlook something in the installation guide? Maybe there is a documentation gap?

The comment in the release notes is easily overlooked, especially as soon as you start looking though the installation guide. And there the wording could be misleading.

Message was edited by: SvenW.

• 6. Re: Unit Test component missing after upgrade to 3.2
                    Ashley Chen-Oracle

Thanks for your feedback. We will look into making it more explicit in the Installation Guide.

Ashley