5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2013 7:42 AM by DecaXD

Oracle Data Integrator Implementation **Queries**

afb5abd0-4cb9-4009-9684-fa217cf4d2da

Hi All,

Existing Setup: We have multiple sources to take the data for manipulate. We are getting data from different sources using DB links or Flat tables.

We are planning to implement ODI for above scenario. is it suitable for the same ?

If yes

Question 1: We have target Database on server1. Does it required to implement (installations and all) ODI on the same server1 ?

or new server required for implement ODI ? Which one would be better option.

If possible let me know the licensing structure for ODI.

Question 2: Please let me the major advantages and disadvantages of ODI.

Could you please update ASAP as i need to update to Business on above queries.

Thanks and Regards,

Neeli Ramesh

Cell: 9573707038

• 1. Re: Oracle Data Integrator Implementation **Queries**
          DecaXD

Hi,

first of all yes it's possible. You could install ODI both on your rdbms or on a new server, each approach has got some advantage and disavantage.

BUT i'm quite sure that you need a good ODI Consultant or at least an ODI course. Under my opinion ODI isn't a tool that you can learn on the job unless you have someone that support you.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Oracle Data Integrator Implementation **Queries**

Thanks for the response. We required ODI Consultant for the same and i agree with you also.

But i doing POC on ODI,so asking.

As per our requirement We have multiple sources and multiple Target Databases on different servers..

I have gone through some documents, but still not clear what i am looking for ?

Could you please clarify me on below points?

1. I will install ODI application on New Server.( Installation includes Repositories and ODI Studio). and i will install Agents on target database servers. ?
            2. Configure the same for communication from source to target.
            3. Install ODI application on client and configuration.

Please clarify me how we will setup ODI on server and client side?

Please let us know how would be the ODI licensing structure. is it based on users or architecture.

Thanks,

Neeli Ramesh

• 3. Re: Oracle Data Integrator Implementation **Queries**
              DecaXD

1. I will install ODI application on New Server.( Installation includes Repositories and ODI Studio). and i will install Agents on target database servers. ?

ODI (repo+ studio) on a new server, an agent on this server plus 1 agent for eache server that need to execute local command (bat script for example)

Configure the same for communication from source to target.

Odi hasn't got a source or target mapping. Each object (db) could be used both as source and target.

Install ODI application on client and configuration.

ODI Studio is your development and monitoring tool. Install and connect to your repositories (1 master and 1 work)

Please clarify me how we will setup ODI on server and client side?

On new server: ODI STUDIO+ Repositories

On Other machines (see previous answer) : Odi Agent

On you desktop. ODI STUDIO

Please let us know how would be the ODI licensing structure. is it based on users or architecture.

Call your local Oracle, sometimes they change some rules.

Let us know

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Oracle Data Integrator Implementation **Queries**

Thanks for the quick response. I hope following queies are final to close POC.

1. Does it mandatory for ODI Agents installation on sources database server.

2. If (ODI+Repositoty) installed on new server what would be the major advantage and disadvantage.

3. If (ODI+Repositoty) installed on Target Database server what would be the major advantage and disadvantage.

NOTE: we have multiple sources Databases and multiple target Databases on different servers.

4. Could you please let me know system requirement for ODI setup on server and client side.

5. ODI global disadvantages (at least 2)

Thanks,

Neeli Ramesh

• 5. Re: Oracle Data Integrator Implementation **Queries**
                  DecaXD

Hi,

1. no, it's not mandatory. BUT each server need to be reachable from at least one agent

2. scalabilty, isolation

3. less network problem at example, less cost (you haven't a server more)

4. give a look at certification matrix. ODi repo that i use usually are on 3-4 GB in total

5. an high curve of apprentice.

By the way i see we are linked on linkedin. Write me an email plz.

Let us know.