This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply: Jul 26, 2013 2:21 AM by Barbara Boehmer Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Oracle 12c for Windows download aborts after about 30 minutes
    Barbara Boehmer Oracle ACE
    Currently Being Moderated

My laptop overheated and shut down again.  This time it didn't shut down normally, so I had to do a full re-start, so I didn't get to see exactly what happened before the shutdown.  I checked the size of the file it was downloading and could tell that it wasn't finished.  I went through the process to get a new url with new authparam.  I renamed the old file to the file name in the new url, using double quotes.  Then I ran wget -c <new url with new file name with new authparam> and it immediately resumed downloading at 66%.  "-c" is for continue.  So, that is one method for anyone else that needs it.  In my previous internet searches, I did read various things about the behavior of -o changing from version to version, regarding continuing or overwriting.  So, what worked in the past may not anymore.  As to Grid Infrastructure, I don't know that I am ready to play with that yet.  I think I will just settle for downloading and installing the 12c database for now.  I will let you know when the download has actually finished.

• 16. Re: Oracle 12c for Windows download aborts after about 30 minutes

I woke up at 2 a.m. to find that I lost my internet connection, so I used the same method to resume the load of file2 at 78%.  This is agonizingly slow, but it is getting there.

• 17. Re: Oracle 12c for Windows download aborts after about 30 minutes

Download complete!  My laptop shut down abnormally again, but the size of the file tells me that it finished downloading first.  Thanks again for all the help.  Now I just have to unzip and install, so I can start having fun experimenting with the new features.

• 18. Re: Oracle 12c for Windows download aborts after about 30 minutes

After finally completing the download, I now have an installation problem:

Oracle 12c installation on Windows 7 not progressing

• 19. Re: Oracle 12c for Windows download aborts after about 30 minutes

The strangest thing happened.  I got an email saying that there was a response to my post in the installation forum, but when I clicked on the discussion link it went to an unrelated thread in a different forum.  I found the correct thread in the correct forum and tried to post the response below a few times, but each time I got a vague message saying that an error occurred and to try again.  So, I am going to try to post it here for now, so that those trying to help (Billy) will know that the problem appears to be solved.

The Windows Task Manager, under Applications, shows Database Configuration Assistant Running.  I don't see any log files in the c:\oracle12c directory or any of its sub-directories.  However, it finally dawned on me to check and see what I could find and do and guess what, I found OraDB12Home1 and Application Development and SQL*Plus and connected as sysdba, unlocked the scott account, connected as scott/tiger and behold everything works, as shown below.  So, I guess it finished even if it doesn't look like it.

SQL> select banner from v$version;

BANNER

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oracle Database 12c Enterprise Edition Release 12.1.0.1.0 - 64bit Production

PL/SQL Release 12.1.0.1.0 - Production

CORE    12.1.0.1.0      Production

TNS for 64-bit Windows: Version 12.1.0.1.0 - Production

NLSRTL Version 12.1.0.1.0 - Production

SQL> select * from scott.dept;

DEPTNO DNAME          LOC

---------- -------------- -------------

10 ACCOUNTING     NEW YORK

20 RESEARCH       DALLAS

30 SALES          CHICAGO

40 OPERATIONS     BOSTON

SQL>