This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 19, 2013 7:57 AM by sherrera RSS

Oracle 11.2 XE on Ubuntu 12.04

sherrera Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hello,

I'm having issues with users logging into Oracle. I installed it on Ubuntu 12.04 running Oracle 11.2 XE.  If i am root, i can run sqlplus just fine and log in. But when I use a regular user account and run sqlplus, it will just stay blank. No error messages or any feedback. I echo $ORACLE_HOME and echo $ORACLE_SID and they come back exactly as they do under the root account. My path is set up just like root has it. 

It almost seems like a permission issue but even when i try sqlplus /nolog it stays blank.  If it helps, i followed the instructions from

http://meandmyubuntulinux.blogspot.com/2012/05/installing-oracle-11g-r2-express.html

Thanks for the help

• 1. Re: Oracle 11.2 XE on Ubuntu 12.04
    EdStevens Guru

Sherrera wrote:

Hello,

I'm having issues with users logging into Oracle. I installed it on Ubuntu 12.04 running Oracle 11.2 XE.  If i am root, i can run sqlplus just fine and log in. But when I use a regular user account and run sqlplus, it will just stay blank. No error messages or any feedback. I echo $ORACLE_HOME and echo $ORACLE_SID and they come back exactly as they do under the root account. My path is set up just like root has it.

It almost seems like a permission issue but even when i try sqlplus /nolog it stays blank.  If it helps, i followed the instructions from

http://meandmyubuntulinux.blogspot.com/2012/05/installing-oracle-11g-r2-express.html

Thanks for the help

Please review the official installation guide (located here:   Oracle Database Preinstallation Requirements ) and show me where it lists Ubuntu as being a supported platform for installing Oracle Database.

You read someone's blog instructions on how to hack an unsupported installation?  You get what you pay for.

Can't Lie On The Internet - YouTube

Actually, you get less than what you paid for it.  VirtualBox and Oracle Linux combined cost a total of US$0.00.

Install Virtual Box on your Ubuntu machine, then create a virtual machine using a supported version of Linux, like Oracle Linux.

• 2. Re: Oracle 11.2 XE on Ubuntu 12.04
    sherrera Newbie

It does seem to run just fine as sudo. I've never tired the Oracle Linux before only ubuntu. But I will give it a try under Oracle linux.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points