7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 25, 2013 8:52 AM by CraigB RSS

Forms 10g Installation issue on windows 7 Professional service pack 1

Suchit Kumar

hi

I am trying to install oracle forms 10g  64 bit windows 7 Professional service pack 1 ..

Below are 2 files that i am using ..

1. ds_windows_x86_101202_disk1.zip (626,122,752 bytes)
      2. ds_windows_x86_101202_disk2.zip (236,880,881 bytes)

But it failed but the error is .. 

Checking operating system version: must be 4.0, 5.0, 5.1 or 5.2.    Actual 6.1     Failed <<<<

just wondering if there are any workaround ..

• 1. Re: Forms 10g Installation issue on windows 7 Professional service pack 1
          Christian Erlinger

Forms 10.1.2.0 is not certified on Windows 7 64 bit; only on 32bit. This doesn't necessarily mean that it won't work at all, just that Oracle does not certify it and they might not have tried an Installation. I am running Forms on Win7 64bit for quite a while, and I never had any (OS related) problems.

There are some patches necessary in order to get Forms 10g to work on Win7; have a look at MOS note 1292919.1 on installation instructions.

If you don't have access to MOS then this will be problematic as you will need the patches in order to get it working. The only other options are installing Forms in a VM or installing the recent version 11gR2 instead.

cheers

• 2. Re: Forms 10g Installation issue on windows 7 Professional service pack 1
            CraigB

Christian is right - Forms 10g R2 (version 10.1.2.0.2) is not certified for installation on Windows 7.  You must apply a Forms 10g R2 patch to bring the version to 10.1.2.3.0 for it to be certified.  You must have a My Oracle Support account to obtain the patch.

Now, to your question - is there a workaround; the answer is yes.  There are known issues with this installer.  I'll list them and their workaround.

1.  The Oracle installer checks for a specific set of Windows versions rather than check for a minimum Windows version.
            Workaround:  Right-click the Installer and select Properties.  Click the Compatibility tab and click the checkbox: Run this program in compatibility mode for:  Windows XP SP3).

2.  The Oracle Installer can't detect Windows Managed Virtual Memory (VM).
            Workaround:  You must temporarily change the Virtual Memory settings and specify specific Initial and Maximum sizes.  See this Microsoft article for more information on changing VM settings.  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/change-the-size-of-virtual-memory

This change will require you to restart your computer.  After you have successfully installed Oracle Forms 10g, you can restore the original VM settings.

3.  The Oracle installer MUST be installed as an "Administrator". 
            Workaround:  Windows 7 uses "Least privileged user" so you must right-click the Installer and select the Compatibility tab.  Click the "Run this program as an administrator" checkbox.

4.  Not a Oracle installer issue, but you will have to install the 32-bit version of the Oracle Java Runtime Environment (JRE) (1.6.0 - not 1.7.0) because Oracle Forms is a 32-bit application so it will not be able to use the 64-bit JRE.

Run the Oracle installer and it should now install succesfully.

Craig...

• 3. Re: Forms 10g Installation issue on windows 7 Professional service pack 1
              Suchit Kumar

Hi Craig

thanks for your response , Now i am able to install and compile the 10g Forms .. I have gone though your blog of running the forms locally , and made a change in formsweb.config file .. started oc4J server and it is initiated also .. however Browse just keep running and page never opens up ..

Appreciate your inputs .

• 4. Re: Forms 10g Installation issue on windows 7 Professional service pack 1
                CraigB

SuchitKumar wrote:

.. however Browse just keep running and page never opens up ..

I'm not sure what you mean by "Browse".  Could you clarify this please?

If you've gone through the steps of configuring your system to run forms from the Forms Builder, you just click on the "Run Form" icon (Green light) or "Run Form Debug" (Green light with red arrow) to run a form from the Builder.  You can also use the Ctrl+R (Run Form) shortcut keys to run a form also.  Last I checked, there was not a keyboard short-cut to Run Form Debug.

Craig...

• 5. Re: Forms 10g Installation issue on windows 7 Professional service pack 1
                  Suchit Kumar

Hi Craig

I mean , i am running the form and IE Browser ( Earlier it was typo mistake) opens up .but the page does not come up in the browser ( IE)

• 6. Re: Forms 10g Installation issue on windows 7 Professional service pack 1
                    Shabeer

Check your IE version and java version...

1. If you are using IE 8 and above, then uninstall java update 7 from control panel...     OR

2. Use IE 6 version...then no problem with java version..

either u have to use IE 6 or uninstall java update 7;;;;

Go to forms builder 10, in the edit menu, click preferences..under the tab, Runtime.. there will be a option named web browser location... Click browse and point to the browser .exe which u want....

• 7. Re: Forms 10g Installation issue on windows 7 Professional service pack 1
                      CraigB

Double-check and make sure you updated the default.env as well - specifically the FORMS_PATH variable.  This variable is used by the Runtime to find your Form executable.  I like to create a directory where I put all forms I'm working on.  Then, I add this directory to the FORMS_PATH in the default.env.

The alternative is to create a configuration for each form you run and specify the full path and the form name.  This is very tedious as it has to be done for each form.  Using the FORMS_PATH is much easier.

Also, Shabeer is correct with respect to Java.  Forms 10g is not designed to work with Java 7 so if that is the version you are using, I strongly recommend you uninstall it and install the latest Java 6 version (currently 1.6.0_45).

Craig...