This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 24, 2013 12:36 PM by 949125 RSS

Endeca Software Upgrade

949125 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

We have been using Endeca more than 4 years. Our implementation is very traditional, mdex 6.3, platform service 6.1.3, workbench 2.1, and 4 dgraphs on 2 hosts.

I seldom checked Endeca upgrades after it was bought by Oracle. We are going to have a redesign of our whole website, and I found all of these new terns like data domain cluster, endeca server cluster, lead dgraph, follower dgraph, and index is now on the shared file system?

I'm really impressed that Oracle made all of there happening in such a short time. Also I'm really confsed now, shall we change our current environment for the new re-design? Or those all Endeca products are still supported in the future?

Any suggestion is highly appreciated.

Lucas

• 1. Re: Endeca Software Upgrade
    Dan at Branchbird Journeyer

Hi Lucas,

What sort of Endeca application are you running?  Is it used to help serve up your product catalog on your retail website?  Or is it a "behind the firewall" internally facing application used for more of a business intelligence purpose?

The reason I ask is because Endeca actually broke up the IAP (Information Access Platform, which includes all of the components you call out above) into two products -- InFront and Latitude.  InFront was eCommerce focused and Latitude was data discovery/BI focused.  Oracle has maintained, and enhanced, these two products lines but has relabeled them OECS (Oracle Endeca Commerce Server) and OEID (Oracle Endeca Information Discovery), respectively.  This forum is dedicated to the latter. 

If your implementation is eCommerce focused you might have better luck with this forum: https://forums.oracle.com/community/developer/english/endeca_experience_management/technical_questions

Also, our firm Branchbird is comprised of all ex-Endecan professional services folks and would be more than happy to discuss your re-platforming effort.  </shameless-plug>

HTH,

Dan

http://branchbird.com

• 2. Re: Endeca Software Upgrade
    949125 Newbie

Thanks a lot, Dan. Appreciate your help.

Our primary endeca application is for the company's public website, so I think it is an Infront application. The funny thing is there is another application running behind the firewall for internal use, but its main purpose is still to help with navigation and search instead of BI for decision making.

So, shall we change our whole infrastructure to set up endeca server cluster with multiple data domains?

I also browsed the products that we could download from oracle, look like mdex and platform services are only in Information Discovery package. So we won't need to install mdex and platform services in OECS?

Thanks in advance for your help again.

Lucas

• 3. Re: Endeca Software Upgrade
    Dan at Branchbird Journeyer

Hi Lucas,

"Endeca Server" and "Data Domains" are terms used to discuss the OEID product, so you won't need them nor that product in your upgrade.  "MDEX" and "Platform Services" are still terms used to describe portions of the OECS product.  Not sure where you're seeing them under Information Discovery since they're not part of that product.

Thanks,
    Dan

• 4. Re: Endeca Software Upgrade
    949125 Newbie

Thanks, Don. Big help! That clarified all confusions.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points