6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 26, 2013 8:06 AM by myluism RSS

About Java versions

myluism

Hi all.

This may not be the proper forum for this post, however simple to anwer for a more informed user.

My box is Windows 7 64 and i'm running WLS Forms / Reports Development. I notice i have 2 Java Version on my laptop:

1)  Located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Java:

JAVA_VERSION="1.7.0"

OS_NAME="Windows"

OS_VERSION="5.1"

OS_ARCH="i586"

2) Located at C:\Program Files\Java

jre6

When i looked at my Java Console I see this:

version 6 Update 27 (build 1.6.0_27-b07)

and

1.6. 1.6.0_27  c:\Program Files\Java\jre\bin\javaw.exe

Now recently i updated from this file: chromeinstall-7u25. Clearly i seem to be updating the Java located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Java, but my Java Console stays at 1.6.

What is going on here? and most importantly, which java version am i running for my forms web enviroment?

Best regards, Luis ..

• 1. Re: About Java versions
          CraigB

Luis,

Well, chromeinstall-7u25 is not the official Oracle Java Installer.  Where did you get this installation file?

myluism wrote:

What is going on here? and most importantly, which java version am i running for my forms web enviroment?

If you want to know which version of Java your Oracle Forms is configured to use, then you need to look at the formsweb.cfg file.  This file is located in: \MIDDLEWARE_HOME\user_projects\domains\fmwconfig\servers\AdminServer\applications\formsapps_11.1.2\config\ or something similar to this - depending on the version you have installed.

Once you have opened the formsweb.cfg, scroll down until you find the jpi_classid= parameter.  It should be something like:

jpi_classid=clsid:CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0027-ABCDEFFEDCBA - this tells you that Forms is configured for Java 1.6.0_27.

If the version listed here is different from what is listed in your Windows Control Panel then you can either update the JPI_CLASSID= and JPI_MIMETYPE= entries to match the Java version listed in the control panel or you can download the version listed from Oracle's website and install this version.  I recommend you download the latest Java 1.6 version (currently 1.6.0_45) and install and configure your formsweb.cfg to use this version.  Afterwards, these two lines in your formsweb.cfg should look like this:

jpi_classid=clsid:CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0045-ABCDEFFEDCBA
          jpi_mimetype=application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.6.0_45

Also, you didn't state if you have the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Oracle Fusion Middleware installed, so I must assume that it is the 32-bit version.  This being the case, you must install a 32-bit Java Runtime.

Craig...

• 2. Re: About Java versions
            myluism

Thanks Craig for your reply.

This is what i have at formsweb.cfg:

jpi_classid=clsid:CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0012-ABCDEFFEDCBA

# Parameter related to the version of the Java Plugin

jpi_codebase=http://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-6-windows-i586.cab#Version=1,6,0,12

# Parameter related to the version of the Java Plugin

jpi_mimetype=application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.6.0_12

The chromeinstall-7u25 is from the auto download features of my laptop.

A couple of questions:

1) Do you recomend using Java version 7 for web deployed forms? Certification matrix is 6.0.10+....

2) It seems i'm using jre 6, but however i'm experiencing issues related to mixed code signing which is suppose to be a Java SE update 21 +, so this is puzzling me, because i don't really know which Java version is in place where and when.

Although my laptop is 64 bit, i decided to run WLS and Forms with 32-bit.

Hope you can help me clarify this as it is driving me nuts ()

• 3. Re: About Java versions
              Christian Erlinger

If I may,

1) Do you recomend using Java version 7 for web deployed forms? Certification matrix is 6.0.10+....

Java6 is in extended support at the moment; this means you'll only get Security Patches from MOS. If you don't have a support contract with Oracle and still want to use Java6 you need to cross your fingers and pray to the FSM or whoever you want to that nobody finds another big security hole in JRE 1.6u45 (the last public JRE6 update) which would force you (or your customers will force you) to act quick and use a newer Java version which might give you even more troubles. So decide for yourself if and when you switch to java7.

2) It seems i'm using jre 6, but however i'm experiencing issues related to mixed code signing which is suppose to be a Java SE update 21 +, so this is puzzling me, because i don't really know which Java version is in place where and when.

Remove them alltogether and install the one you plan to use. Do not install java6 and java7 alltogether. Almost once a week someone in our company has troubles with java versions which usually is because they have a truckload of JRE versions installed ranging from java 1.4 to 1.7. In 99% of the time this problem is solved by removing all of them and install the latest one and just this one. In the other 1% a reboot and some manual cleanup is necessary between deinstallation and installation . Also if you are going to switch to java7 you should think about using a trusted certificate to sign your jar files.

cheers

• 4. Re: About Java versions
                myluism

Ok. Thanks. But as stated i have two places where Java gets installed.

From you recomendation i think it is better to:

1) Remove both java.

2) Download Java SE 7. If so, what changes should be made to formsweb.cfg?

jpi_classid=clsid:CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0045-ABCDEFFEDCBA

jpi_mimetype=application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.6.0_45

Equivalent for Java 7?

3) What do to with the auto - update feature? I know Oracle recomends not to disable this, and always try to use the latest version. In this case a installer similar to chromeinstall-7u25 will be use. Trusted certicate are commercial solution right? In this case, should i stay on jre 6 update 45?

Regards, Luis ...

• 5. Re: About Java versions
                  Christian Erlinger

To make things easy  You only should have one java version on your client,yes.be it java6 or java7 is your choice.I am just saying that running a version of a software which doesnt receive updates anymore might bite you in the butt some day. You still would get updates for java6 from support you just have to pay for it.but in the end you are just stalling the univetible: java7 (8,9,10,whatever) is going to happen.

For java 7 you might change the classid to

0017-0000-FFFF

To run with any update of java7.leave the update feature on but be sure to be on top of the updates which means test test test test. Or fix problems as they occur ;-) .

Cheers

• 6. Re: About Java versions
                    myluism

Ok Christian. Thanks very much for your help

Grettings