1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next 64 Replies Latest reply: Aug 8, 2013 5:02 AM by BluShadow Go to original post RSS
      • 30. Re: the points! where are they?
        BluShadow

Hi Sonya,

sonyabarry wrote:

So, honestly, the switch from plain posts to helpful/correct happened before my time, and I'm assuming we're counting basic post counts in those numbers (otherwise newbies wouldn't have points at all, right?), and I've never paid attention to the arithmetic.  We made that switch a while back so we can be in alignment with MOSC whenever we manage to get both communities on the same platform.

Yes, it was a while back... if I recall it was 2008 when the old old forums switched to the old forums.  The old old forums only used post counts for a persons status and there was no concept of points being awarded for correct/helpful posts, there was only the ability, if I recall correctly (it was a long time ago), to mark a thread as answered.  Of course that meant that it was abused by 'newbies' just making as many pointless posts as they could to get their status up, but they were easy to spot and dealt with by the admin of the time.  When it switched to the old forums, everyone started from scratch with 'newbie' status (though they still had their number of posts showing against their profiles) and the points system for correct/helpful posts was the only way to gain points and increase status, with number of posts made not counting towards anything.  As far as I'm aware, this new forum seems to just work the same... points for correct/helpful posts, but nothing for number of posts made... or at least that's the way it looks to me, though I'm not observing my points that closely; and considering the number of postsings I make as a very active member on here, I don't see it creeping up on that basis.  (I'll check once I post this message)

We were going to delete older content, and will have to eventually, but opted not to at migration.  I just ran up against a major research obstacle - the reliable data about what had actually been looked at by users only went back 2.5 years in Site Catalyst, and I didn't want to cut that deep.

Ah, so I wasn't completely mistaken then.  I knew you'd talked about cutting content, just wasn't aware you'd held off on it. 

Edit to add.... yep, I was right... no points awarded for just making a post.

• 31. Re: the points! where are they?
          LT.ora

is it possible that changing the profile name does some calculations ? earlier my profile name was ltaura

• 32. Re: the points! where are they?
            Mr Nitin-Oracle

No it doesnt

• 33. Re: the points! where are they?
              Lalit Kumar B

I think the whole idea of points in the forum is to motivate the new members as well as recognize the posters with maximum helpful/correct answers as "senior" members. By the time people become a Guru, it might not at all make much difference with the point calculation. The main aim is to provide help/assistance to the posters coming to this forum. And then it all depends on the poster to tag the answers as helpful/correct.

There are other forums dedicated for the Oracle community where there is no point system at all. Only number of posts are counted.

Yes, of course, as "BluShadow" mentioned, there are so many other things in life which might disappoint us as well. So let's focus on learning and sharing. let's not be disappointed by a loss of few points. If you have helped someone ever, he will always thank you for that.

• 34. Re: the points! where are they?
                Dude!

To adjust points based on a personal claim is possibly the most unfair the OTN admin could do. If there was still a problem then the complete system needs to be recalculated.

FWIW, I made a few screenshots on 09.June prior the forum upgrade. One of them shows that I was leading the top users list of the Linux category with 5730 points. If there is a way for the admin to query the current system against that date and forum category, it could be used to verify points are accurate, provided of course the points in the old system were shown correctly. Unfortunately I cannot compare any numbers, since the system does no longer show points per forum.

• 35. Re: the points! where are they?
                  Mr Nitin-Oracle

Let me re-iterate (I have done that many times already)

No one has lost points.

The points have been corrected. After correction folks have got the points as per their profile

Points = sum (correct answer*10 + helpful answers*5)

• 36. Re: the points! where are they?
                    Lalit Kumar B

Well, what's better than that. Good news to the folks who were quite worried and had hopes alive(don't know hopes for what?).

• 37. Re: the points! where are they?
                      Billy~Verreynne

LT.ora wrote:

I had at-least 160-170 points with the status of an explorer, how did it change to a newbie

Well, I "lost" over 10,000 points (had over 25,000 after upgrade). So if I'm not whining and being a wuss about it, you should not be either. POINTS ARE A JOKE!

And I really pity those who think otherwise.. that need to find some semblance of self worth on OTN via forum points.

• 38. Re: the points! where are they?
                        LT.ora

I'll will take that positively instead of feeling hurt

• 39. Re: the points! where are they?
                          Billy~Verreynne

More than once I have seen really sound answers from posters with a couple of postings and just a few points - and immediately have respect for their insight and knowledge.

And more than once I have seen postings from a poster with many postings and guru points, that are simplistic, fail to grasp the actual technical concepts, and not worth serious consideration.

I trust that it is more common on OTN to evaluate a posting by its contents, then by the poster's point and status who wrote that posting....

• 40. Re: the points! where are they?
                            Dude!

The point system can be a motivation for forum newcomers and there is nothing wrong with it. After forum participation becomes a habit, priorities may shift, but it is a development process. To shift from posting questions to answering questions can be a learning experience. Understanding this may explain why loosing a few points can be more disappointing for a newcomer than it is for forum veterans.

The point system does not necessarily serve the only purpose to spoil a person's ego, nor does the ACE status for that matter. I think it is not necessary and silly to use the forum reward system to draw conclusions about a persons sanity, motivation or ethic believes. It is wrong to look down or make fun of forum members who see any value or importance in the point system, which is also encouraged by the forum etiquette.

I do not see how your post based on ideological extremes playing experts against newcomers can be helpful. I think posts with aspects of insulting people and intolerance does not help to attract new technical experts or make a positive experience, which the OTN forum really needs.

• 41. Re: the points! where are they?
                              jgarry

sonyabarry wrote:

We were going to delete older content, and will have to eventually, but opted not to at migration.  I just ran up against a major research obstacle - the reliable data about what had actually been looked at by users only went back 2.5 years in Site Catalyst, and I didn't want to cut that deep.

That's why some of us become data pack rats.  You never know what will be valuable in the future.  There's usually some way to have things in cheaper near-online storage, or read-only archive databases.

• 42. Re: the points! where are they?
                                Billy~Verreynne

Dude wrote:

The point system can be a motivation for forum newcomers and there is nothing wrong with it.

As sole motivation, that would be a major problem in my view.

The point system does not necessarily serve the only purpose to spoil a person's ego, nor does the ACE status for that matter. I think it is not necessary and silly to use the forum reward system to draw conclusions about a persons sanity, motivation or ethic believes. It is wrong to look down or make fun of forum members who see any value or importance in the point system, which is also encouraged by the forum etiquette.

What is the reality? Points does not imply any kind of expertise. Guru status is a meaningless title. If you want to argue contrary, then please supply evidence that points and guru status can be used on a job application form, and will be accepted as qualifications in expertise by the employer.

So if points and guru status have no foundation in real world job expertise, why this big deal about it, for some, on OTN? And the ONLY answer that comes to my mind is ego.

I do not see how your post based on ideological extremes playing experts against newcomers can be helpful.

And there I was thinking my position is one of reality and sanity, conveying to newcomers that I (and hopefully others) value real expertise even from a newcomer with 10 postings and 0 points. That I do respect the expertise of a newcomer, irrespective of no points, and lack of guru status. That I do not give a ratsass about how many points you have, in order to appreciate and acknowledge real expertise in a posting.

And then you have the nerve of accusing me  of being idealogical extreme? And playing of  "experts" and "newcomers" against each other? So I should  be treating newcomers different than the "gurus" around here? As the latter are more "worthy"? Am I perhaps upsetting the hierarchy of those who feel that their points and guru status make them more important than others?

The inane quest for points and guru status that lack any real world meaning, is an idealogical, and fanatical, extreme...

• 43. Re: the points! where are they?
                                  Dude!

I was not mentioning job, guru or fanaticism. My response was also not intended to offend you, or to question the value of points or anyone's competence or perception of reality. I was trying to outline the divergence between responses that are helpful or humiliating.

There are bugs in the human hardware. I prefer to leave it up to everyone's personal opinion and private concern which motivation or game is worth the candle, but I agree that the wrapping is sometimes worth more than the gift.

• 44. Re: the points! where are they?
                                    BrianPa

BillyVerreynne wrote:

As sole motivation, that would be a major problem in my view.

[...]

What is the reality? Points does not imply any kind of expertise. Guru status is a meaningless title. If you want to argue contrary, then please supply evidence that points and guru status can be used on a job application form, and will be accepted as qualifications in expertise by the employer.

So if points and guru status have no foundation in real world job expertise, why this big deal about it, for some, on OTN? And the ONLY answer that comes to my mind is ego.

Then it's ego!  Why is there such resistance to accepting that?  I personally don't care a bit about the points, but some obviously do and it's ridiculous, and repetitive and ridiculous and repetitive and repetitive to chastise them for it.  If one is so opposed to people gaining ego-gratification from points, one should address their complaints to the forum management to have points removed, or at least to have the FAQ edited such that it does not contain the following bits STRONGLY implying that points are an accepted, encouraged and recognized part of the forum:

What is proper discussion forum etiquette?

[...]

Finally, it is good form to reward answerers with points (see "What are 'reward points'?" below) and also to mark the question answered when it has been.

What are "rewards points"?

It is possible for you to reward an answerer 5 points for a "helpful" answer or 10 points for a "correct" one (or none at all). Users who accumulate certain amounts of points reach different levels of recognition (see legend). In this manner, users who offer consistently helpful or correct answers raise their standing in the community. (Note: in order to award points, you must identify your post as a "question" first - which is set as default.)