This discussion is archived
13 Replies Latest reply: Sep 1, 2013 11:36 PM by NoGot RSS

Pages In Application Limit

NoGot Explorer
Currently Being Moderated

Is there any limit to pages in one application? I will generate pages for my tables, 4 pages for each my table. I have more than 300 tables. So i will have 1200 pages in my app. Is this possible?

• 1. Re: Pages In Application Limit
    Hari_639 Guru

Hello,

I don't think there is any such limitation on number of pages. See Oracle Application Express Limits

We have applications with around 50 to 200 pages. I have never tested application with 1200 pages. But I'm sure it will work.

Regards,

Hari

• 2. Re: Pages In Application Limit
    fac586 Guru

NoGot wrote:

Is there any limit to pages in one application?

Theoretically there are no limits on the number of pages an APEX application can contain (note that known limits are described in the documentation).

However, for practical purposes, importing/exporting apps and other configuration management tasks become unwieldy at around 150-200 pages. It's good practice to modularise large systems into a number of smaller apps for improved manageability.

I will generate pages for my tables, 4 pages for each my table. I have more than 300 tables. So i will have 1200 pages in my app. Is this possible?

This sounds like a very strange way to design/size an application. 300 tables of what? Why 4 pages per table?

• 3. Re: Pages In Application Limit
    NoGot Explorer

Hello,

I have seen this limits. But there is nothing about pages in application. I hope this will work, but maybe someone from Oracle APEX developers team reads this topic?

• 4. Re: Pages In Application Limit
    NoGot Explorer

I must make interface to >300 tables that are independent of each other. And each table must have page with IR, page with edit form, page with tabular form and page with logs. It is impossible to write universal form for IR, because IR requires static SQL source. So, I decided to make script, that will iterate over table metadata, and generate individual pages for each table.

• 5. Re: Pages In Application Limit
    fac586 Guru

NoGot wrote:

I must make interface to >300 tables that are independent of each other. And each table must have page with IR, page with edit form, page with tabular form and page with logs.

It still sounds like a strange data model. It is highly unusual in a relational database to have so many tables that are "independent of each other". If the tables are as "independent" as this, then should the model not be 300 apps with 4 pages each rather than one app with 300×4 pages?

It is impossible to write universal form for IR, because IR requires static SQL source. So, I decided to make script, that will iterate over table metadata, and generate individual pages for each table.

How do you intend to generate the pages?

• 6. Re: Pages In Application Limit
    NoGot Explorer

There is nothing strange. This tables is a part of big data warehouse. This tables stores data, that filled manually, by users (departments). There is several users (departments), each user (department) edit some portion of his own data (20-50 tables). And i must make interface for each table (each user can edit only his own tables, and some other tables as read-only). So i have one app, with many tables. Making universal page is difficult. Also users want use Interactive Reports with his filters, grouping, etc... 300 apps with 4 pages - it's a nonsense.

If you are interesting:

I have made this app. And deployed this app at production yesterday

At this moment i have 1073 pages in app. There is no problems, all pages works fine. I have only one problem - with tabs. I tried to use one tab for all pages, but all page numbers doesn't fit in the "Tab Also Current for Pages" attribute of the tab =)).

>> How do you intend to generate the pages?

I generate pages using apex packages like wwv_flow_api. I saw it in app and page export scripts. And make similarly.

• 7. Re: Pages In Application Limit
    Mike Kutz Expert

It sounds like navigation to find the correct initial IR will be a nightmare.

How did you solve that problem?

• 8. Re: Pages In Application Limit
    NoGot Explorer

What do mean for "initial IR" ?

I have main page with tree, having at first level departments, and under each department his tables. Also i made searching on the tree. Also,for each department visible only this tables, that he have permission for.(about 20-50 tables max). So, there is no nightmare.

• 9. Re: Pages In Application Limit
    Mike Kutz Expert

Hmmm... main page with tree...

Well, that works.  (I've used that on a different platform)

However, I find that if one has to go 4 or 5 levels deep, it becomes very burdensome.

Thank you for the answer.

To clarify my terminology:

You said each table needed 4 pages and one of the pages was an IR (interactive report).

I was assuming that when someone wanted to work on table T_124, they will start off, initially, at the IR page for table T_124.

This IR page was what I meant by "initial IR".

• 10. Re: Pages In Application Limit
    NoGot Explorer

>> However, I find that if one has to go 4 or 5 levels deep, it becomes very burdensome.

My tree is not simple tree ;-)

I wrote apex plugin, named TreeTable. It looks like table, but has a tree in one of the columns. Have you seen how looks SQL execution plan in PL/SQL Developer? I took this idea from there))). Also i added simple searching over the treetable (with jQuery) - it filters rows: shows rows that contain search word, and all his parents.

So, even admin user, that have access to all tables (~300 tables) can search table in two clicks.

• 11. Re: Pages In Application Limit
    fac586 Guru

NoGot wrote:

There is nothing strange. This tables is a part of big data warehouse. This tables stores data, that filled manually, by users (departments).

Definitely strange. "Big data warehouses" are normally read-only to users, "filled" using replication or dedicated ETL tools/processes. I have never, ever, heard of a data warehouse maintained by direct manual entry.

There is several users (departments), each user (department) edit some portion of his own data (20-50 tables).

And i must make interface for each table (each user can edit only his own tables, and some other tables as read-only). So i have one app, with many tables. wMaking universal page is difficult. Also users want use Interactive Reports with his filters, grouping, etc... 300 apps with 4 pages - it's a nonsense.

Do some or all of these tables consist of multiple instances of tables with the same structure? If so I see this as a definite anti-pattern. Rather than creating the same table multiple times, use a single instance of each table with partitioning and VPD to enable efficient and secure multi-tenant access, with an app of 80-200 pages.

If you are interesting:

I have made this app. And deployed this app at production yesterday

At this moment i have 1073 pages in app. There is no problems, all pages works fine. I have only one problem - with tabs. I tried to use one tab for all pages, but all page numbers doesn't fit in the "Tab Also Current for Pages" attribute of the tab =)).

Use lists instead of tabs, with classes at page level and CSS to indicate the current navigation state.

>> How do you intend to generate the pages?

I generate pages using apex packages like wwv_flow_api. I saw it in app and page export scripts. And make similarly.

Subject to the usual disclaimer: The use of undocumented private APIs can lead to corruption of the application and APEX instance, and result in Oracle refusing to provide support for the installation.

• 12. Re: Pages In Application Limit
    jkallman Employee ACE

Hi there,

There is effectively no upper bound on the number of pages that can be created in an application.  You could have one million pages in a single application, if you wished.

As was stated by others, there are some other considerations you may wish to take into account, to make development and maintenance of these a bit easier.  But as far as a limitation on the number of pages in an application, there are none.

Joel

• 13. Re: Pages In Application Limit
    NoGot Explorer
    Definitely strange. "Big data warehouses" are normally read-only to users, "filled" using replication or dedicated ETL tools/processes. I have never, ever, heard of a data warehouse maintained by direct manual entry.

No, this tables store some parameters for dwh. And this tables not stored in dwh. It's another instance. And it used as one of the sources for dwh and then replicated by ETL.

Do some or all of these tables consist of multiple instances of tables with the same structure? If so I see this as a definite anti-pattern. Rather than creating the same table multiple times, use a single instance of each table with partitioning and VPD to enable efficient and secure multi-tenant access, with an app of 80-200 pages.

Each table have his own structure.

Subject to the usual disclaimer: The use of undocumented private APIs can lead to corruption of the application and APEX instance, and result in Oracle refusing to provide support for the installation.

I hope it will be ok, because this API used by APEX import.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points