2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2013 12:56 PM by DigitalLogick RSS

Does TOOLTIP_TEXT have a max length?

DigitalLogick

I'm displaying images in forms 10g with a button to open the image in a browser. I have the button label simple and descriptive, but I want the tool tip to display the full URL. I have it set up like:

Set_Item_Property('block.button', TOOLTIP_TEXT , URL);

The tool tip shows up with the correct URL 99% of the time. But sometimes no tool tip shows up.

Anyone ever heard of this? I'm thinking it may be because the URL address is too long for the tool tip. Does the tool tip have a max character length and if so what is it?

• 1. Re: Does TOOLTIP_TEXT have a max length?
          Michael Ferrante-Oracle

In Forms 11.1.2.1, there is no limit in the number of characters (well within reason).  The limitation is the horizontal space to the right.  In other words, because the Tooltip will not word wrap, it will only display if it can fit to the right without going outside of the applet container space.   As an option, you could count the number of characters in the string and for every X number of characters, insert a CHR(10).  This will force the text to the next line.  Now the limitation will be height.  Meaning, you will need to use care not to push the text off the bottom of the applet.  In which case, it would again not display.

• 2. Re: Does TOOLTIP_TEXT have a max length?
            DigitalLogick

Absolutely right. The buttons that don't show the tips that are closest to the edge of the form. Thanks.