2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2013 7:40 PM by EdStevens

SQl developer installation and set up the connections

cuteprathyu999

Hi,

I m a new learner of Oracle - SQL. My doubt is can i have an test environment( a dummy) connection in SQL developer for my practice purpose in my local laptop.

Do i need to install Oracle to work with SQL developer in my system.Wat all I should have to fulfill the abve?

Pls guide from the basic

Thanks in Advance

• 1. Re: SQl developer installation and set up the connections
          Ishan

You need to download Oracle 11g(or Oracle 12c as it's the latest, or any other version you like) from Oracle site. It comes with SQL developer.

Install the Database just like any other software and you have the ready environment in your local laptop.

• 2. Re: SQl developer installation and set up the connections
            EdStevens

cuteprathyu999 wrote:

Hi,

I m a new learner of Oracle - SQL. My doubt is can i have an test environment( a dummy) connection in SQL developer for my practice purpose in my local laptop.

Do i need to install Oracle to work with SQL developer in my system.Wat all I should have to fulfill the abve?

Pls guide from the basic

Thanks in Advance

SQL Developer is a 'client' tool.  It is pretty much worthless without a database to connect to.  You can't execute SQL statements without a database.  The database can be either on your local machine (where you have installed SQL Dev) or on a remote machine.  To get a database on your own machine, you will need to download Oracle Database, install it, and create a database.  Be sure to read the installation guide for installation prereqs, including certified operating systems.