This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 8, 2013 2:46 PM by lake RSS

what is significance of points/status in forum

lake Journeyer
Currently Being Moderated

I've been working with oracle since 1992 and yet I still have no idea how the points thing in the fora work. (Obviously it has not seemed to be of great importance or I would have asked this question sooner :-)  But ok, for what reason are points awarded? I was noticing that the forum now has a "participants" list in order by "status" which seems to be random and not in order by points or how much bling they have on their icon. The champion of the underdog says "good". So where do people cash in their points? Just curious.

• 1. Re: what is significance of points/status in forum
    Christian Erlinger Guru

From here:

https://wikis.oracle.com/display/Forums/Forums+FAQ

What are "rewards points"?

It is possible for you to reward an answerer 5 points for a "helpful" answer or 10 points for a "correct" one (or none at all). Users who accumulate certain amounts of points reach different levels of recognition (see legend). In this manner, users who offer consistently helpful or correct answers raise their standing in the community. (Note: in order to award points, you must identify your post as a "question" first - which is set as default.)

So where do people cash in their points? Just curious.

I'm also not sure right now. I got thrown out of the last bar where I tried to pay with some of my points, and also the coffee dispenser constantly ignores my offer of even all my points for one small cup.

Seriously they don't have much value. With X points you get another badge displayed right to your handle, and also if you are in the top X of a forum you get displayed in the top participants list of the forum (much similar as with the post count previously). Other then that they have not much value.

cheers

• 2. Re: what is significance of points/status in forum
    Andreas Weiden Guru

WHen someone answers your question, you can either mark it as "helpful" which gives 5 points to the answerer or "correct" which gives 10 points.

• 3. Re: what is significance of points/status in forum
    lake Journeyer

Well that's what I thought. I was hoping for free airline tickets at some point. But I don't think I'm getting them :-(

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points